24th October 2007

Huzzah! Best Saag ever!

posted in Indian, Main Dishes |

I’ve always wanted to make Chicken Saag at home; it has been and remains one of my all-time favorite Indian dishes. I tend to judge every Indian restaurant by this dish — but this version gives the local joints a run for their money, and it’s lower in fat. The recipe is based on a few I found online, but with a lot less oil.

This was a bit time consuming, but really easy. It came out *so* good!

Yeah, it really did. I love the spices.

Next time I’d make it a little hotter, but other than that it’s exactly the way I like it.

Maybe a little less chicken?

Sounds good. I’ll post the recipe like I’ll prepare it next time.

Saag Chicken
    1/2 tsp turmeric powder
    2 big cardamom pods
    2 whole cloves
    7 tsp oil
    1 tsp garam masala
    1/2 tsp salt

Heat 4 tsp of the oil over medium-high heat, add the chicken and stir-fry for around 3-4 minutes until lightly browned. Set aside.
    Put the spinach in a pot, add 1/4 cup of water. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. When cool, grind very well (almost to a paste) in blender and set aside.
    Heat the remaining oil in a pan over medium-high heat and add the ginger, garlic and onions, stirring until lightly browned. Add tomatoes, salt, cayenne pepper, ground coriander, turmeric, cloves and cardamom. Add a tablespoon of water and cook for 10 minutes over low heat.
    Add chicken and milk to the pan. Simmer until the chicken is tender (about 10 minutes).
    Add spinach and garam masala to the pan. Cook until spinach starts sticking to the pan (about 15 minutes).
    Remove from heat, add butter and cover until ready to serve with rice.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, October 24th, 2007 at 9:37 pm and is filed under Indian, Main Dishes. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 4 responses to “Huzzah! Best Saag ever!”

On October 25th, 2007,Deborah Dowd said:

I am just starting to make my ow Indian recipes and I will have to give this one a try.

On October 25th, 2007,Chris said:

Hi Deborah — let me know how it turns out. This was one of those receipes where I wasn’t sure how it was going to be until the last step (finally adding the spinach puree), when it all came together nicely.

On October 26th, 2007,Mallika said:

So glad you tried this recipe! It can be a bit fiddly with the blending and stirring involved but the results are well worth it!!

On August 19th, 2013,musicfan513 said: