23rd November 2007

La Pissaladière

posted in Main Dishes |

I’ve been wanting to try this “onion pizza” since the day I saw it on The Cooking Ninja’s blog. No sauce, no cheese, just a ton of caramelized onions, some herbs, tomatoes, and anchovies. Simple and amazingly tasty. We love onions, so I knew this would be a hit.

Holy mackerel it smells good in here.

Actually those are anchovies, and it should smell good — I caramelized four whole onions for this pizza!

Yum! This is delicious — even with the anchovies!

I thought you would like them; that’s some salty goodness. ;)

(Later…)
    Thad and Abbie say:

Why do your clothes smell like onions?

La Pissaladière
    —————
    (courtesy The Cooking Ninja)
    1 pizza dough
    4 large onions, sliced (I used 3 yellow, one red)
    4 tomatoes, thickly sliced
    1 can of anchovies
    Herbs de Provence

Preheat the oven to 410F, or use the instructions on your pizza dough. Heat some oil in a pan over medium-high heat and sauté the onions until they start to turn golden brown; sprinkle with salt. On a floured board, roll out your dough into a 12-14″ circle, then move to a pizza pan or baking sheet. Lay the onions onto the dough, then layer with tomatoes, some herbs, and finally, the anchovies. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.

This entry was posted on Friday, November 23rd, 2007 at 10:22 pm and is filed under Main Dishes. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 4 responses to “La Pissaladière”

On November 28th, 2007,Cynthia said:

No cheese? Now this is my kind of pizza.

On December 15th, 2007,Wanda said:

This is one tasty pizza. Love the caramelized onions and anchovies.

Wanda

On March 5th, 2008,Anonymous said:

Well that’s a different take on this classic dish. I can’t recall seeing other Pissaladière recipes with thick slabs of tomato like yours, but hey, what ever floats your boat. I’d definitely try it though as tomatoes are one of my favorites too.

ChovyChap 2008

On June 13th, 2010,The Cooking Ninja said:

Your La Pissaladière looks fantastic. Glad to hear that you love it. It’s a house favourite in my family. :)