3rd August 2008

Tacos de Carnitas

posted in Main Dishes, Mexican |

Tacos Carnitas

Wow. Just, wow. I’ve been meaning to make carnitas tacos for at least a year now, and can’t believe how wonderfully they turned out. I started with a recipe from Elise’s site and made some modifications based on some of the comments, and changed the toppings to suit our tastes. Moist, spicy, fall-apart pork, crisped up in the oven and placed in a tortilla with homemade pico de gallo, crunchy cabbage, and sweet-tangy pickled red onions. This might be my favorite dish we’ve made this year.

Wow; do you smell that kitchen?

The kitchen? Try the whole house! I’ve been drooling for the last three hours!

This is awesome — and amazingly simple for the results. It’s somewhat time-consuming, but most of it is unattended. The most complicated part was carving up the pork and trimming off most of the fat!

Seriously? That rules — I think this is one of the best meals we’ve had in a while. Home-cooked or at a restaurant.

Everything works so well together: the savory pork, the freshness of the pico, and the tartness of the onions… I love it.

You go ahead and keep talking about how good it is — I’m going to shut up and eat.

Actually, I think I’ll join you.

Tacos de Carnitas
    4 lbs boneless pork butt (shoulder), cut into large cubes (remove as much fat as possible)
    1 quart beef broth
    2 cups chunky salsa, medium-hot

corn tortillas
    pico de gallo (diced tomatoes, onions, cilantro, jalapeño, and lime juice)
    pickled red onions (recipe below)
    cabbage, shredded
    creme fraiche (or sour cream)

In a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, combine pork, broth, and salsa. Add water to completely cover the meat, if needed. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 3 to 4 hours, until meat pulls apart easily.
    Remove the meat from the liquid in the pot, set aside, and shred. (I use “shred” lightly, the pork will be so tender that just pressing it with the back of a fork will make it fall apart.) Pour the liquid through a colander to filter out solids, then return a third of the liquid to the saucepan. Heat over high heat for 12-15 minutes until it reduces to a gravy-like consistency. Add the reduced liquid to the pork and mix thoroughly.
    Turn on the broiler in your oven. Place the shredded pork in a shallow layer in a roasting pan, or a wire rack over a cookie sheet, on the bottom rack of the oven. Broil for 5-7 minutes, until pork starts to crisp up. Use a spatula to flip the pork, and broil for an additional 5-7 minutes until crisp.
    Serve the carnitas in warm corn tortillas with homemade pico de gallo, marinated red onions, and shredded cabbage. Drizzle with a little creme fraiche.

6-8 Servings

Pickled Red Onions
    1 red onion, cut into 1-4″ half-rings
    rice wine vinegar (about 1 cup)
    1/2 tsp sugar
    orange juice
    oregano
    peppercorns
    coriander seeds

Blanch the red onions in boiling water for 15 seconds, then drain, rinse, and pat dry. Dissolve the sugar into the rice wine vinegar. Place onions in a shallow dish, then add rice wine vinegar to just about cover the onions. Add about 1/4 cup of orange juice (enough to totally cover), the oregano, a few peppercorns, and a few coriander seeds. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. These will keep for about a week in the fridge.

This entry was posted on Sunday, August 3rd, 2008 at 9:27 pm and is filed under Main Dishes, Mexican. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 14 responses to “Tacos de Carnitas”

On August 4th, 2008,Mike Yeh said:

you guys blow my “homemade” tacos away from the taco kit i used last week!

On August 4th, 2008,cindy said:

i just came by your blog via foodgawker…i love carnitas and have been thinking about them for weeks. now i am going to have to make some!

On August 4th, 2008,Kevin said:

Those look tasty!

On August 4th, 2008,OneShotBeyond said:

yum yum

On August 5th, 2008,canarygirl said:

Olé! My gawd these look delicious…I love the texture and flavor combos you’ve used…your pickled onions sound like the perfect addition, too. :)

On August 5th, 2008,Wasabi Bratwurst said:

I was traveling in Mexico on a DJ trip; the local promoter took me to a restaurant that only served pork dishes. There we sat and ordered carnitas, that was served most deliciously and by the kilos. Eight of us feasted on pork every imaginable way Mexican style, drank like a fish and conversed for hours and hours. The total bill came to a whopping $35 bucks. What a deal. And the carnitas served there was AMAZING!

Thank you so much for sharing, I think I am ready do this at home :)

On August 6th, 2008,Sues said:

Ooooh! I made something similar with chicken a few weeks back, but this looks SO much better with the pork. And the homemade pico de gallo. Yum!

On August 10th, 2008,We Are Never Full said:

fabulous! just sprinkle a little cotija cheese on top and i’m all set!

On August 15th, 2008,Cynthia said:

Looks really good.

On September 21st, 2008,Barb said:

This is my kind of food. It sounds so simple but delish. I will be making this soon.
      Thank you for a wonderful recipe.

On November 25th, 2008,Lisa said:

Tee hee…you said “butt”

On November 25th, 2008,Lisa Moody said:

Seriously though…they sound great and I can’t wait to make them. I just don’t know how you two keep your svelte waistlines!

On June 1st, 2009,William Cobos said:

I LOVE TACOS DE CARNITAS…….. IS A DELICIUS FOOD!!!!!!
      MEXICAN FOOD IS THE BEST……….

I LOVE TACOS 4EVER!!!!!!

On August 9th, 2011,Cochinita Pibil: Slow-roasted Yucatan Pork » We [Heart] Food said:

[...] PEPS potluck, so it was a no-brainer to make it our contribution.  I’m still partial to the Carnitas that we’ve made a few times previously, but this recipe is easier, and actually tasted better [...]