11th December 2008

Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Mushrooms and Shallots

posted in Sides |

butternutshroom

This side-dish just looks like Fall. Once again, the interweb earned its weight in vegetables by providing a recipe to match what arrived in the CSA box: yams and cremini mushrooms! I wasn’t sure that the combination of mushrooms and yams was going to work out that well, but wow, was I pleasantly surprised. Roasting them with large shallots, which sweetened during cooking, turned out wonderfully. We made it a meal by serving this alongside chicken breasts cooked with onions and yellow bell peppers in a white wine reduction. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

This is awesome.

Steal — I just took some shallots off your plate.

Get yer own, lady!

Oh, I have my own, I’m just taking more from you. This rules.

I love how the yams are crispy on the outside and tender and steamy on the inside.

I think we should bring this to potlucks for our mushroom-hating friends.

Totally — more for us! This is one occasion where I wouldn’t want to try to convince them to try shrooms; it would just leave us with less roasted goodness.

Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Mushrooms and Shallots
    Nonstick vegetable oil spray
    1/4 cup low-salt chicken broth or vegetable broth
    3 tbsp olive oil
    2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    2 lbs yams, peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
    10 large shallots, peeled, halved through root end
    4 bay leaves
    2 tbsp plus 1 tsp chopped fresh marjoram
    8 oz cremini mushrooms, stemmed, halved
    3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray. Whisk chicken or vegetable broth, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar in small bowl. Mix sweet potatoes, shallots, bay leaves, and 1 tablespoon marjoram in large bowl. Pour half of broth mixture over and toss; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss mushrooms, 1 tablespoon marjoram, and remaining broth mixture in medium bowl; sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Spread sweet potato mixture on baking sheet. Roast until potatoes begin to soften, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Mix in mushrooms. Return to oven; roast until potatoes and mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes longer. Transfer to bowl. Mix in parsley and 1 teaspoon marjoram.

This entry was posted on Thursday, December 11th, 2008 at 11:00 pm and is filed under Sides. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 5 responses to “Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Mushrooms and Shallots”

On December 12th, 2008,Hélène said:

I can just imagine the smell, sounds so good.

On December 12th, 2008,diva said:

that looks really really good! i can almost smell and taste it!

On December 13th, 2008,Laurie said:

Love these ingredients and all things roasted. I would steal some shallots too!

The conversations just crack me up.

On December 19th, 2008,Lisa said:

made this with rubbed sage instead of the marjoram since i’d run out, used baby bellas, and served it with roast chicken. it was truly fab-u-lous. husband voted it a repeat and Christmas or Thanksgiving-worthy, the sage made it cry for turkey. (the leftovers rewarmed gorgeously with meatloaf a few days later. it seriously goes with anything–even just a plate and a fork!)

On December 29th, 2008,Guest Post: Salmon Chowder » We [Heart] Food said:

[...] We served the chowder with a few sides and salads we’ve made before, including these roasted yams, a salad featuring arugula and roasted bell peppers, and one featuring layered beets and avocados. [...]