14th November 2009

Big Curry Noodle Pot

bigcurrynoodlepot

Here’s a quick & easy, packed-full-of-flavor slurpy bowl of goodness from Super Natural Cooking: Noodles, tofu, and onions swimming in a rich, creamy coconut curry broth. Just the right amount of spice, and a garnish of cilantro and shallots provide nice color contrast to the yellow broth.

Ooooh, good choice! This is different than what we usually make.

Yeah, I’m usually not in the mood for coconut-broth-type dishes like this. I certainly never order them out.

Well I’m glad you made this one; and I actually like the spiciness level.

Yeah it’s perfect — could always kick in additional hot sauce if you want it hotter.

What makes it yellow, the curry paste?

It was a little closer to orange before the turmeric. Adding that and the coconut milk gave it the nice yellow color. I think the only thing I don’t think the recipe as shown in the book needs is the peanuts. I’ll leave them out when I make this next time.

Agreed — they don’t really add much. It’s plenty awesome without them!

Big Curry Noodle Pot
    2 tsp turmeric
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    1 tbsp sugar
    Juice of 1 lime
    2 shallots, sliced into rings
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Cook noodles according to package directions in lots of boiling water with a dash of salt. Drain, stop the cooking by running cold water over, and set aside.
    Meanwhile, heat the coconut oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, onion and curry paste, stirring until the curry paste is well incorporated, 1-2 minutes. Add the tofu and gently stir until coated. Stir in the coconut milk, broth, turmeric, soy sauce and sugar. Bring to a slow simmer and keep it there for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the lime juice and noodles, and stir.
    Add the noodles and some extra both to each of 4 bowls. Top with the shallots and cilantro.

4-6 Servings

This entry was posted on Saturday, November 14th, 2009 at 4:35 pm and is filed under Asian, Main Dishes, Soups and Stews, Super Natural Cooking. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 10 responses to “Big Curry Noodle Pot”

On November 15th, 2009,Biz said:

I just recently tried coconut milk in a Shrimp Thai soup I made a couple weeks ago – totally have missed the boat for so long!

Your noodle dish looks delicious!

On November 15th, 2009,heather said:

where or where did you find that adorable bowl? looks great!

cheers,

*heather*

On November 17th, 2009,tasteofbeirut said:

Ah! finally something to do with the tofu I have had accumulating dust in my fridge. Perfect for my vegan son!

On November 18th, 2009,Coconut Recipes said:

Looks great!

On November 19th, 2009,laura said:

Oh, I LOVED this! I added WAY more veggies (sauteed bok choy and broccoli, plus garnished with raw mushroom slices, red bell pepper strings, and carrot matchsticks) and I used ramen-type noodles because I couldn’t find good udon. Totally amazing soup; total keeper! What a wonderful wintery way to eat lots of vegetables!

On November 20th, 2009,Jo said:

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! I tried it a couple days ago–*absolutely delicious*. I did add some bell pepper pieces, used beef slices instead of tofu, vermicelli instead of udon, and finished off the leftovers this morning with toasted french bread.

On November 27th, 2009,kim said:

Wow this recipe for the curry noodle pot was awesome and I have been meaning to try it for some time. I think next time I might use prawns instead of the tofu and maybe throw in some green peppers, and or red peppers to give it some color. all around very rich creamy and delicious!

On January 1st, 2010,Matzo said:

Two vegetarians came to our NYE party. This was a great quick dish to throw together at the last minute. I used yellow curry paste and added broccoli. This is a great dish where I think you could add just about anything to the base. Thanks for sharing!

On April 20th, 2010,Leelu said:

I made this 2 nights ago and it ROCKS!!! I added shitakes, peas and a dash o’ fish sauce, but what a great recipe! Thanks. This will be added to the regular rotation … and served to guests. Tastes like it came from a restaurant!

On January 19th, 2012,Big Curry Noodle Pot :: Pork Cracklins said:

[...] – I can see adding different seasonal vegetables and greens – and it’s posted at We Heart Food – go make [...]