24th April 2010

Seared Salmon with Spinach and Creamy Roasted Peppers

This recipe comes from Mexican Everyday by Rick Bayless. The recipes in this book could mostly be considered weeknight-friendly; no three-hour ordeals. We really enjoyed this dish, where salmon is simply seared and then topped with a mexican-inspired creamed spinach. We served it a simple steamed green-bean and red onion salad.

Is there anything better than a seared piece of salmon?

I’m sure there is, but I can’t think of anything right now.

What do you think of the spinach?

You’re right, it just tastes like creamed spinach, but better.

You can actually taste the masa harina in the spinach; I really like it.

You, me and Popeye.

Seared Salmon with Spinach and Creamy Roasted Peppers
    1 fresh poblano pepper
    ~5 cups cleaned spinach
    1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
    1 tbsp masa harina
    3/4 cup fat-free milk
    2 6-oz skinless salmon fillets
    salt and pepper

Roast the poblanos over an open flame, turning regularly until blackened all over. Place in a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside.
    Steam or microwave the spinach just until wilted and set aside.
    Turn the oven on to its lowest setting. In a very large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring regularly, until browned, about 4 minutes. Scoop into a blender and set the skillet aside.
    Rub the skin off the poblano pepper with a paper towel and remove the seeds and stems. Roughly chop and add to the blender, along with the milk and masa harina. Blend until smooth.
    Return the skillet to medium-high heat. Sprinkle both sides of the salmon with salt and pepper. Lay the fillets in the oil and cook until browned, about 3 minutes. Use a spatula to flip the fillets and cook until the fish just barely flakes when pressed. Transfer the fish to an ovenproof plate and set in the oven.
    Pour the poblano mixture into the skillet and whisk until it boils, about a minute. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 5 minutes, whisking in some more milk if it gets too thick. Season, add the spinach, and stir until warmed throughout.
    Top each salmon fillet with a portion of the sauce.

This entry was posted on Saturday, April 24th, 2010 at 4:48 pm and is filed under Main Dishes, Mexican, Mexican Everyday. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 7 responses to “Seared Salmon with Spinach and Creamy Roasted Peppers”

On April 24th, 2010,Joanne said:

I love Rick Bayless recipes. That man is a culinary genius.

There is nothing better than pan-seared salmon. Well, except for ice cream. But it has to be really good ice cream.

Love the pictures, the meal looks delicious!

On April 25th, 2010,Ben / letsstartsimple.com said:

That looks really beautiful!

On April 25th, 2010,tasteofbeirut said:

I absolutely love this meal that you made! First of all, say the word poblano and I am salivating. I have the utmost respect for Rick Bayless and his cooking and recipes. Great post! (your wife is so funny)

On April 26th, 2010,Carrie said:

Looks excellent. I’ve been really into making recipes from Rick Bayless lately. I love his Authentic Mexican cookbook, but I don’t have Everyday Mexican. Sounds like something I need to get!

On April 26th, 2010,Dana Zia said:

I love this recipe! And more importantly, I love your blog! Very well done. Thank you so much

On June 26th, 2010,Columbus Foodie » Blog Archive » April 2010 Roundup said:

[...] Creamy, Chewy, Seared Scallops with Lime and Miso Dressing on Avocado Puree from thepassionatecook, Seared Salmon with Spinach and Creamy Roasted Peppers from We [Heart] Food, Cindy’s Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken Salad from What’s For [...]

On March 1st, 2011,Seasonal Meal Planning: Spring said:

[...] Pork crockpot pulled pork with mustard sauce and slaw leftovers of above Seafood/no central meat Seared salmon with spinach in roasted poblano cream sauce cream of asparagus soup BLT benedict with mozzerella and avocado pan-fried shrimp with green curry [...]