26th February 2008

Baked Eggplant with Mushroom-Veggie-Tomato Sauce

posted in Cooking Light, Main Dishes |

Tonight Lisa adapted a recipe from Cooking Light, throwing in a bunch of extra veggies to make this baked eggplant dish. It was close to a lasagna, with eggplant taking the place of the noodles. Ridiculously low in calories, which meant we polished off the entire dish.

Yum, is that pizza? Oh wait. Yum, lasagna!

Bzzzzt… wrong… that’s eggplant.

Yum, eggplant!

I love recipes that enable us to pig out like this.

Mmm-hmmph.. iphs rlly goodtoo!

You really shouldn’t type with your mouth full.

Ha! Did that actually come across?

Yeah, although I’m not sure why having food in your mouth would affect your typing like that.

Oh yeah. Right. Whatever. The point is that I enjoyed stuffing my face with this meal you made.

Baked Eggplant with Mushroom-Veggie-Tomato Sauce
    ————————————————
    1 peeled eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 1 1/4 pounds)
    Cooking spray
    1/4 tsp black pepper, divided
    1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce, divided
    2/3 cup (about 3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
    1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup breadcrumbs

Preheat broiler.
    Arrange the eggplant slices on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; broil 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
    Heat oven to 375°.
    Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat; add onion and next 7 ingredients (onion through mushrooms). Cover and cook 7 minutes or until tender, stirring mixture occasionally. Increase heat to medium-high; uncover and cook for 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates.
    Spread half of mushroom mixture in bottom of a 1 1/2-quart round baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange half of eggplant slices over mushroom mixture; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Top with 1/2 cup tomato sauce and 1/3 cup mozzarella. Spread remaining mushroom mixture over mozzarella; top with remaining eggplant slices. Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon pepper; top with remaining tomato sauce and breadcrumbs. Cover and bake at 375° for 1 hour. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Let stand 10 minutes.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 26th, 2008 at 9:12 pm and is filed under Cooking Light, Main Dishes. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 2 responses to “Baked Eggplant with Mushroom-Veggie-Tomato Sauce”

On March 2nd, 2008,Cathleen said:

Bloody eggplant allergy!! This looks soooooo good…if only I were up for a night of ceaseless itching….

On August 3rd, 2008,Sarah said:

I have to say that this looks absolutely fantastic! I’ve made a few modifications of my own due to some dietary restrictions – love that you reduced the cheese from the original – and I’m planning on serving this to the family soon. My mom even invited me to serve this for a vegetarian option this Christmas Eve (my stepfamily is Italian and celebrates every year with a seafood feast). Even though it’s August, it’s never too early to plan! Thanks for a great entry into the eggplant world for me!