15th April 2008

White Bean, Roasted Red Pepper, and Arugula Salad

I was pretty happy when I saw that our CSA box this week included arugula, because I’d been wanting to make this salad from Fitness Food a second time — the first time we brought it over to a dinner with Jeremy and Autumn and were without camera. The arugula is tossed with a light olive oil & lemon dressing, and topped with white beans and roasted red bells — who doesn’t love roasted bell peppers?

I like this arugula better than “baby” arugula…

So good — this salad rules!

I love roasted peppers; we should remember to make this more often.

It’s pretty filling for a salad… and I like the lemon flavor. I’m all for making this again.

White Bean, Roasted Red Pepper, and Arugula Salad
    ————————————————–
    3 red bell peppers
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    zest of 1 lemon
    4 tbsp coarsley chopped flat-leaf parsley
    14 oz can white beans
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
    1 small bunch arugula

Roast the red bell peppers by broiling or grilling until the skins are blackened, then place in a bowl covered with plastic wrap. When cool, peel the skin off, remove the seeds and membrane, and cut into strips.
    Combine the garlic, lemon zest, and parsley, and set aside.
    Add half the garlic/parsley mix to the white beans, and add half the lemon juice and olive oil. Add salt and apepper to taste. Place the arugula on a large plate and toss with the remaining lemon juice and olive oil.
    Scatter the beans over the leaves, then lay the pepper strips on top, along with the remaining garlic/parsley mix. Season with salt and pepper.

4 side servings, or 2 as a light main course

This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 15th, 2008 at 9:11 pm and is filed under Fitness Food, Salads and Light Soups. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 5 responses to “White Bean, Roasted Red Pepper, and Arugula Salad”

On April 17th, 2008,farida said:

Hi Lisa & Chris! Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment on carrot salad:) It led me to your deliciously looking arugula salad which happens to be one of my favorite greens:) Loved your blog and subscribed to it to be updated on your yummy foods! Cheers!

On April 17th, 2008,Chris said:

Thanks farida — that carrot salad looks delicious…

On April 17th, 2008,Terry B said:

Wow! There is nothing not to like about this beauty. If you like hearty salads with beans, you might also enjoy this one with lima beans and Spanish chorizo.

On April 23rd, 2008,Tina said:

Beautiful photos!

On December 29th, 2008,Guest Post: Salmon Chowder » We [Heart] Food said:

[...] a few sides and salads we’ve made before, including these roasted yams, a salad featuring arugula and roasted bell peppers, and one featuring layered beets and avocados. Overheard: This is wonderful, who made this? I [...]