28th December 2008

Barley Risotto with Grapefruit and Arugula

barleyrisotto
    We’re trying to eat lighter meals now that we’re back from vacation, and this one from Super Natural Cooking seemed to be on the lighter side, yet filling. Rather than arborio rice, this risotto uses pearl barley, and get its citrusy flavor from lemon zest and grapefruit.

Not going to get scurvy from this dish — the citrus flavor is subtle, but there…

I actually think it could use a little more flavor — maybe next time I’ll use chicken or veggie broth instead of the water and a little more wine.

I’m always on board for more wine!

I do like that she’s pretty accurate with the number of servings for recipes in her book.

That’s always a bonus; nothing worse than making a recipe and realizing the dish that’s supposed to serve six would barely serve the two of us…

This would also work well as a side to something else. I’m enjoying it okay, but I want something else with it.  I’m not sure I’d make it again as a main course.

Maybe next time we’ll try the barley risotto recipe I found with pancetta — should be a lot of flavor in that one!

Barley Risotto with Grapefruit and Arugula
    1 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
    1 yellow onion, chopped
    2 shallots, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 tsp fine-grain sea salt
    2 cups pearl barley
    1 cup dry white wine
    6 cups water
    1 grapefruit
    Grated zest of 1 lemon
    1/2 cup light sour cream
    2 big handfuls arugula, coarsely chopped
    Handful of chopped toasted walnuts, to garnish

Heat the oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat, then add the onion, shallots, garlic, and salt and saute, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes, or until the onion begins to soften.
    Add the barley and stir until totally coated. Add the white wine and simmer 3 or 4 minutes, until the barley has absorbed the liquid a bit. Adjust the heat to maintain a simmer.
    In stages, add about 6 cups of water, 1 cup at a time, letting the barley absorb most of the liquid between additions; this should take around 40 minutes altogether. Stir regularly so the grains on the bottom of the pan don’t scorch, and continue until the barley is cooked through and tender-chewy.
    Meanwhile, grate the zest of the grapefruit, then peel and cut the grapefruit into segments. Cut the segments in half, reserving any juice that leaks out. When the barley is tender, stir in the zest, segments and juice, Parmesan, and sour cream. Taste and adjust the seasoning, then stir in the arugula. Garnish with the toasted walnuts before serving.

4-6 Servings

This entry was posted on Sunday, December 28th, 2008 at 8:40 pm and is filed under Main Dishes, Super Natural Cooking, Vegetarian. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 4 responses to “Barley Risotto with Grapefruit and Arugula”

On December 30th, 2008,Hayley said:

This recipe sounds so interesting. The grapefruit is scaring me a little, but I love adding fruit to everything. Lovely picture.

On December 30th, 2008,Madeline said:

I love to make risotto using pearl barley. I am so with you on eating lighter. I feel like a beached whale after this holiday season ;) Happy New Year!

On December 30th, 2008,gaga said:

Oooh, I’ve never had barley risotto, but I do love barley and I do love risotto, so I’m sure I’d love this! Looks great!

On January 15th, 2009,pyondi said:

Amazing recipe!!!
      Great photo… I feel the TASTE!!!!