25th January 2009

Porcini & Wild Rice Soup

posted in Main Dishes, Veganomicon |

wildriceshroomsoup

We decided that after a meat-heavy couple of months, it was time for a week’s worth of vegetarian meals. So we started off with tonight’s soup, adapted from a recipe in Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook. This recipe is chock full o’ shrooms, makes the house smell fantastic, and best of all, is extremely easy to make. Most of the time goes toward simmering the soup until the rice is cooked through. Definitely recommended for you mushroom lovers out there.

I heart mushrooms!

Especially in this soup; this is great!

I like that we got to use the porcini oil that Cathy and Chris got us, and the porcini salt!

Too bad we didn’t have porcini onions, porcini garlic, or porcini rice!

You joke, but you know we’d use them if those existed.

True, true.

Anyway, this is so, so delicious. I like the carrots in it, too — you really can’t taste them very much, but it adds color. It’s also really healthy!

Even if you have more than one serving? Not that it matters, I’m having more regardless… ;)

Porcini & Wild Rice Soup
    1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
    2 cups boiling water
    1 tbsp olive oil (porcini-infused, if you have it!)
    1 large yellow onion, sliced thinly
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tsp Herbes de Provence
    1 tbsp salt (porcini-style, if you have it!)
    freshly ground pepper
    8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced thinly
    1 1/2 cups wild rice
    4 cups vegetable broth, plus extra if needed
    1 carrot, peeled

Place the dried porcinis in a bowl and cover with the boiling water. Cover the bowl with a plate and set aside.
    Preheat a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the oil and saute the onions for 3 minutes. Add the garlic, herbs, salt, and pepper and cook for 10 minutes, until the onions are browned.
    Add the sliced creminis and saute for about 3 minutes. Remove the porcinis from the bowl with a fork, slice thinly, and add to the pot, along with the soaking liquid. Add the wild rice and vegetable stock. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
    When the rice is tender, grate the carrot into the soup, turn off the heat, and let sit for 10 minutes. Add more broth if the soup seems too thick. Ladle into bowls and serve.

This entry was posted on Sunday, January 25th, 2009 at 10:59 pm and is filed under Main Dishes, Veganomicon. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 9 responses to “Porcini & Wild Rice Soup”

On January 26th, 2009,Cathleen said:

Oh, yum! I wish we were still visiting you guys so I could have this. Though my anti-mushroom hubby is probably glad you didn’t choose to make this while we were there…

On January 26th, 2009,Irene said:

Is that 8 oz. cremini or porcini sliced? I believe the list of ingredients does not match the recipe instructions.

On January 26th, 2009,Chris said:

Good eye! I updated the recipe; thanks.

On January 26th, 2009,TasteHongKong said:

Yes, rice in soup is one of my favorite recipes. I have one similar posted in my new blog – a recipe of Chinese type. Glad to share with you here, http://www.tastehongkong.com/recipes/rice-in-winter-melon-soup. Enjoy, TasteHongKong

On January 27th, 2009,Veggie Wedgie said:

This sounds like a great recipe~!Cant wait to try it

On January 27th, 2009,alicia said:

this looks good! but all i can think about is the soup nazi on seinfeld! haha.

On January 27th, 2009,Kevin said:

This soup sounds good!

On January 28th, 2009,Untypically Jia said:

Man, why can’t my husband like mushrooms? This looks to die for! I’m gonna have to make it whether he wants me to or not!

On January 28th, 2009,Chris said:

Jia — do it! Lisa hated mushrooms until she was forced out of politeness to eat some in a Thai soup a few years ago. Now she’s the main force behind our mushroom dinners.