2nd May 2009

Toasted Coconut Cilantro Rice

posted in Main Dishes |

cilantrococonutrice

This rice was fantastic! We heart cilantro — added to the combination of the toasted coconut and the hint of spice from the jalapeño, this rice has a great burst of flavor. It was the perfect accompaniment to a shrimp and mango salad. I scaled down this recipe from the one posted at epicurious.

Hey, come here and taste this!

Whoa, that’s awesome… the toasted coconut adds a nice crunch.

It does — I was a little leery about using the sweetened coconut, but it didn’t end up making the rice overly sweet.

So it’s basically just the rice, coconut, and cilantro?

Pretty much… the rice is cooked with some ginger and jalapeño, and then you just stir in the rest after it’s cooked. Really easy. Some reviewers suggested cooking the rice with a little coconut milk to add even more flavor, but I like it as is.

Toasted Coconut Cilantro Rice
    1 cup basmati rice
    1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
    1 tsp finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
    1 tsp finely chopped fresh jalapeño including seeds
    3 tsp vegetable oil, divided
    1 1/3 cups water
    1/2 tsp salt
    2/3 cups packed fresh cilantro sprigs
    2 scallions, chopped (1 cup)

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.
    Wash rice in several changes of cold water in a bowl until water is almost clear. Soak rice in cold water 30 minutes, then drain well in a sieve.
    Spread coconut in a shallow baking pan and toast in oven, stirring occasionally, until pale golden, 6-7 minutes. Watch carefully to make sure it doesn’t burn, then cool completely.
    Cook ginger and jalapeño in 1 tsp oil in a 4-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring, until chile is softened, about 2 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in water and 1/4 tsp salt and bring to a boil, covered. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until rice is tender and water is absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes.
    Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork and transfer to a large bowl.
    While rice cooks, pulse together coconut, cilantro, scallions, and remaining 2 tsp and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor until finely chopped.
    Add cilantro mixture to cooked rice and stir gently until combined well.

This entry was posted on Saturday, May 2nd, 2009 at 2:17 pm and is filed under Main Dishes. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 8 responses to “Toasted Coconut Cilantro Rice”

On May 8th, 2009,Carrie said:

This sounds great! I love finding new rice recipes, and this looks like it’d be perfect with any kind of light seafood. Yum.

On May 8th, 2009,justine said:

Oooh, that sounds tasty! You can’t go wrong with coconut!

On May 8th, 2009,Hélène said:

Looks like the perfect rice to go with many recipes.

On May 8th, 2009,Amrita said:

Oh, I’m anyways a big fan of coconut rice…and the cilantro seems like a perfect touch! Looks delish!

On May 12th, 2009,Autumn said:

I’m definitely trying this and cooking the rice in some coconut milk sounds like a great idea. Btw, I love the picture. The colors are very nice. :)

On July 21st, 2009,Columbus Foodie » Blog Archive » May 2009 Roundup said:

[...] Fresh Blackberry Vinaigrette and Pesto and Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken from Vintage Victuals, Toasted Coconut Cilantro Rice from We [Heart] Food, Moroccan Eggs and Braised Rabbit with Dijon Mustard & Rosemary from What [...]

On December 1st, 2009,Chicken, Cauliflower, and Chickpea Curry « Twenty-Something and Starving said:

[...] As per usual, I am incapable of following a recipe and must, somehow, find a way to make a recipe (or two) my own. So that’s what I did. The result was a beautiful, creamy, spicy curry that I served with coconut cilantro rice. [...]

On May 24th, 2010,Chicken, Cauliflower, and Chickpea Curry » Twenty-Something and Starving said: