5th August 2009

Baba Ghanoush

baba
    This particular recipe for baba ghanoush (or baba ghannouj, moutabal, etc.) comes from a book called Little Foods of the Mediterranean: 500 Fabulous Recipes for Antipasti, Tapas, Hors d’Oeuvres, Meze, and More, but honestly, the basic recipe is pretty simple: eggplant, tahini, lemon, garlic. We served it with the gyros we made for the Almost Meatless Potluck.

Hooray, I’ve always wanted to make baba ghanoush! I love the smokiness from the grilled and blackened eggplant.

Yeah, this is good — tastes really close to how my dad makes it.

Same ingredients I’m assuming?

Yep… though we always called it “moutabal” growing up.

I think this one came out just a little … sweet? …is that possible? It might just need a pinch more salt.

You’ll never get an argument from me on adding salt. To anything.

Baba Ghanoush
    2 medium-size eggplants
    4 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
    1/4 cup tahini
    2 large garlic cloves, peeled
    1 tsp salt
    Extra-virgin olive oil
    parsley

Score the eggplants all over with a fork. Preheat a gas grill on high and grill the eggplant whole until the skins are black and blistered, about 40 minutes. Remove the skins and spoon out the insides as soon as you can handle the eggplant. Puree the pulp in a food processor, then drain the bitter liquid from the eggplant by letting it sit in a strainer over a bowl for an hour.
    In a small bowl, mix the lemon juice and tahini. Pound the garlic and salt together in a mortar until it is a paste, then stir into the tahini. Stir into the eggplant puree. Taste and add water to thin.
    Pour onto a serving platter and drizzle with olive oil, then top with parsley.
    Scoop with pita or Arabic flatbread.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, August 5th, 2009 at 8:46 pm and is filed under Appetizers, Arabic, Armenian, Middle Eastern. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 2 responses to “Baba Ghanoush”

On November 17th, 2009,tasteofbeirut said:

Great recipe and great photo. Although I would have filed it under Lebanese food; I did not know the Armenians claimed it!

On April 12th, 2010,Mediterranean Eggplant and Barley Salad » We [Heart] Food said:

[...] says: I figured out what to make with the eggplant, and it ain’t baba ghanoush… not only that, you’re gonna love [...]