25th October 2009

Grilled Salmon with Orzo Salad

grilledsalmonorzo

This recipe from Quick from Scratch Herbs & Spices Cookbook will definitely enter the rotation as an easy to make, fast weeknight dinner. Dill highlights both the salmon and the orzo salad here; this was a great combo!

Whoa, this is dill-icious.

Oh no, not a pun night…

What’s the dill-i-o? What’s wrong with puns?

Nothing; I’d just rather talk about this awesome salmon. Fresh off the grill and covered with lemon zest and dill… so good!

It is pretty yummy. I got a good dill on the salmon, too… it was on sale.

Really? … The puns?

Can’t han-dill it?

Oh. My. God.

I can do this un-dill the cows come home.

Oh, dill-ightful.

Grilled Salmon with Orzo Salad
    1 cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded, and cut into 1/2″ dice
    4 plum tomatoes, cut into 1/2″ dice
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 lb orzo
    1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp olive oil
    2 tbsp plus 1 tsp lemon juice
    1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1 1/2 lbs salmon fillet, about 1″ thick, cut into 4 pieces
    Grated zest of 1/2 lemon

In a strainer set over a medium bowl, toss the cucumber, tomatoes, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and let drain for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the orzo until just done, about 12 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain thoroughly. Toss the orzo with the 1/3 cup oil, the lemon juice, the 1/3 cup dill, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
    Light the grill. Coat the salmon with the 1 tablespoon oil, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Grill the salmon, skin-side up, for 4 minutes. Turn and sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon dill and the lemon zest. Cook the fish until golden brown and just barely done (the fish should still be translucent in the center), about 3 minutes longer. Serve the fish on the salad.

This entry was posted on Sunday, October 25th, 2009 at 6:13 pm and is filed under Quick from Scratch Herbs and Spices. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 14 responses to “Grilled Salmon with Orzo Salad”

On November 2nd, 2009,diva said:

oh this looks so yum and easy to make too ;)

On November 2nd, 2009,Amelie said:

The picture caught my eye at Tastespotting. It looks so fresh and clean and tasty!

On November 2nd, 2009,Jessica said:

My family loves salmon, and I’ve been looking for a new recipe to try! This looks delicious!

On November 13th, 2009,The FoodieView Weekly Meal Plan » Meal Plan for Nov 15-21 said:

[...] Grilled Salmon with Orzo Salad From We Heart Food [...]

On November 17th, 2009,Rachel Belle Krampfner said:

Ha ha ha! So funny. Oh, and the food looks good to. Looks like you worked pretty dill-igently on this one.

On December 26th, 2009,Food Plans for the Week « For The Love Of Skinny said:

[...] Orzo and Fish [...]

On July 15th, 2010,linda said:

Can anyone suggest how one would prepare this in the oven?

On July 15th, 2010,Chris said:

Linda, if I were to bake the salmon I’d do it in a 400 degree oven — skin-side down — for about 10-12 minutes, or until the center is just opaque.

On July 19th, 2010,FrancisX. said:

Wait dill I try it tonight. Then I’ll respond.
      Dill then!
      FrancisX.

On July 19th, 2010,Evie said:

Dill-ectable!

On July 19th, 2010,Marilyn McCormick said:

I am just a dill-atante, but trained in Paris, taught but now writing. Headed for the Oly Peninsula to cook salmon over driftwood on the Pacific Beach for a family wedding. I have researched fresh/wild salmon and advise you all to only get Alaskan..an environmental issue.
      They say PUNS are an intellectual’s humor…you’re all dill-lightful!
      Mimi

On July 21st, 2010,Fran said:

I’ll Dill-doe this again

On October 19th, 2010,Cucee Sprouts said:

What a terrific recipe. I will try it and serve with my Chile-Roasted Feta and Watermelon Slab http://cuceesprouts.com/2010/10/chile-roasted-feta-and-watermelon-slab/ It is a winning combination!

On January 9th, 2011,Bethany ~ Sustainable Food For Thought said:

Thanks for this post. I plan on whipping up a similar dish tonight! Cheers~