12th November 2009

Chipotle Chicken Chowder

chipotlechickenchowder

I’ve been sitting on this recipe for a while, looks like I had bookmarked it about a year ago and finally got around to making it.  Originally from a Cooking Light recipe, this modified version from The Kitchen Sink features chicken, potatoes, and other veggies in a smoky-tasting, creamy broth — using just 1/4 cup of cream.

This is bueno — I knew I’d saved that link for a reason…

It’s pretty creamy tasting…

I know! There’s a little cream in there, but not a lot — most of the texture is from pureeing the broth and onion, celery, and carrots.

Oh good, I like that the potatoes aren’t pureed in. I like the chunks.

Same here… and I just want to add lime and cilantro to every recipe.

Don’t we already?.

2 small chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
    3/4 lb yukon gold potatoes, in 1/2″ dice
    1/4 cup whipping cream
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more to garnish
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    lime wedges

Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chopped chile, adobo sauce, onion, carrot, celery, cumin, oregano, and garlic; cook 7 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring frequently. Stir in broth; bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Remove pan from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Use an immersion blender to puree the mixture until smooth. Stir in the potatoes and chicken; bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook, uncovered, 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in cream and cilantro; simmer 5 minutes. Top with additional cilantro and serve with the lime wedges.

* Tip: To avoid wasting an entire can of chipotles when you only need one for a recipe, do the following: Once the can is opened, line a baking sheet with foil, spoon each chipotle chile with sauce onto the foil, and place in the freezer. Once frozen, remove from the foil (they’ll slide right off) and place into a ziploc bag or other container and keep in the freezer. Easy to remove just one when required for future recipes.

This entry was posted on Thursday, November 12th, 2009 at 4:58 pm and is filed under Cooking Light, Main Dishes, Mexican, Soups and Stews. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 6 responses to “Chipotle Chicken Chowder”

On November 20th, 2009,Carrie said:

This soup looks really great. I’m putting it on my long list of soups for the winter!

On December 8th, 2009,molly said:

This was delicious! In addition to the lime, I topped it with a little sea salt, avocado slices, and sour cream.

On January 13th, 2010,Carrie said:

Awesome soup! We really enjoyed it. The avocados and sour cream from the previous post sound like they’d go great!

On January 15th, 2010,Chipotle Chicken Soup « Our Life in Food said:

[...] We Heart Food, originally from Cooking [...]

On April 26th, 2010,Dana Zia said:

I’m back…. and this is the recipe I am going to make tonight. It is raining, hard, again, here in the wet Northwest. I think a spicy soup is in order. Sluurpp.

On January 24th, 2011,Shauna said:

Love this idea! We are trying it tonight!