23rd February 2010

Bulgogi-Style Salmon with Bok Choy and Mushrooms

posted in Korean |

I was looking for a dish that would go well with our Korean pancakes, and after a quick interwebs search I came across this dish at epicurious. Rather than the usual sirloin, this recipe uses salmon as the lucky recipient of a tasty, spicy marinade made with soy sauce, onions, ginger, sesame oil, and more. It’s served over a bed of baby bok choy and shiitake mushrooms. I only made slight modifications to the recipe — I doubled the marinade and upped the number of mushrooms. The sauce/glaze is deeelicious.

Yum, this is really good!

Yeah, I really like how the salmon is cooked.. super tender on the inside. And I think that’s the first time our oven’s been set at 500.

Well mark it in the calendar.

… anyway … I loves me that marinade/glaze. It’s good on the veggies and the salmon.

You know, that spicy red sauce from the pancakes is good on my salmon, too.

I’m sure that’s good on cardboard. I think we’re going to have to do more Korean recipes soon.

Bulgogi-Style Salmon with Bok Choy and Mushrooms
    2 large garlic cloves, peeled, divided
    1/3 cup chopped green onions
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1 tbsp Chinese rice wine or dry Sherry
    1 tsp minced fresh ginger
    2 tsp sugar
    1 tsp Asian sesame oil
    1 tsp chili-garlic sauce
    2 6-oz center-cut skinless salmon fillets
    1 tbsp olive oil
    5-6 baby bok choy, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide strips (about 3 1/2 – 4 cups)
    8 large fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps sliced

Blend 1 garlic clove and next 7 ingredients in mini processor. Arrange salmon in a small glass baking dish. Spoon marinade over, and let marinate 5 minutes.
    Preheat oven to 500°F. Transfer the fish, with some marinade still clinging, to a rimmed baking sheet. Roast the fish until just opaque in center, about 8 minutes. Meanwhile, transfer any remaining marinade to a small saucepan. Bring marinade in saucepan to boil; set aside and reserve for glaze.
    Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add bok choy and mushrooms; using garlic press, press in 1 garlic clove. Stir-fry until mushrooms are tender and bok choy is wilted, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
    Divide vegetables among two plates, top with the salmon, and brush with the glaze.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 23rd, 2010 at 3:59 pm and is filed under Korean. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 7 responses to “Bulgogi-Style Salmon with Bok Choy and Mushrooms”

On February 23rd, 2010,Joanne said:

I am always looking for new ways to prepare salmon and this looks fantastic! Epicurious is really the best place to go to for recipes like this!

On February 24th, 2010,saveur said:

This looks absolutely delicious. I can’t wait to try another way to make salmon. :)

On February 24th, 2010,burkie said:

i really should cook more fish, and this recipe will definitely go on my list!

On February 25th, 2010,Mallika said:

Looks lovely, I do a version of this with a honey and soy sauce glaze. I’m going to try your version.

On February 28th, 2010,Kevin said:

What a tasty way to enjoy some salmon!

On March 2nd, 2010,Brigitte said:

This is delicious and super easy to make. Thanks for the recipe. The marinade is a little spicier than the baked sauce so I put it on the side.

On March 7th, 2010,tasteofbeirut said:

I don’t usually fix Asian (I got enough on my plate with lebanese) but I would order this at your kitchen! Looks super delicious.