23rd February 2010

Korean Green Bean & Scallion Pancakes

We made this recipe from Asian Flavors after one of Lisa’s running buddies put the thought of Korean food in our heads. I’d been wanting to make this recipe for a while, and the promise of a new hot sauce to dip them in made it a no-brainer. These pancakes aren’t as fluffy as American pancakes, and you can throw just about anything in them. These feature green onions, green beans, and red bell peppers. This is sure to be a fun recipe to experiment with later.

I could eat an entire meal consisting of just these.

We’re almost there already…

Well, I had to toss the first one — my pan and oil weren’t nearly hot enought and it turned into a super-oily goo.

Well it looks like you figured it out fine…

Yep, I think each successive one was better. By the way, I love that red hot sauce.

I know! I like dipping them in that better than the soy sauce-based one.

I didn’t think it was too spicy at first, but it builds… the more you have, the hotter it gets.

In that case, I have to find more stuff to dip into it!

Korean Green Bean & Scallion Pancakes
    2 oz green beans
    2/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup brown rice flour
    1 large egg, beaten
    1 cup cold water
    1 tsp toasted sesame oil
    peanut oil
    4 scallions, sliced into thin strips
    1/2 red bell pepper, cut into strips

Blanch the green beans in a saucepan of boiling water for about a minute. Drain, cool with cold water, and chop into small pieces.
    In a bowl, mix together the two flours. Make a well in the center, add the egg, and stir into the flours until mixed, gradually adding the cold water. The batter will be runnier than breakfast pancake batter. Stir in the sesame oil and let stand for 30 minutes.
    Heat a small, heavy, non-stick skillet over medium heat, and add peanut oil to coat. Pour in a quarter of the batter, then add a quarter of the vegetables. Cook for 3-4 minutes until set and browned underneath. Flip and cook for 2-3 minutes more. Transfer to a warming platter, and repeat to make a total of four pancakes.
    Cut into squares and serve with the dipping sauces.

Dipping Sauce #1
    (not pictured)
    1/2 cup Korean Hot Pepper Paste (Gochujang)
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 tbsp of sesame oil
    1 clove of garlic, minced

Dipping Sauce #2
    (pictured)
    4 tbsp Japanese soy sauce
    1 tbsp rice vinegar
    1/2 tsp ginger puree
    1 tsp sesame paste
    Pinch of sugar
    1 tsp black sesame seeds

This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 23rd, 2010 at 3:39 pm and is filed under Appetizers, Asian Flavors, Korean. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There is currently one response to “Korean Green Bean & Scallion Pancakes”

On February 23rd, 2010,Bulgogi-Style Salmon with Bok Choy and Mushrooms » We [Heart] Food said:

[...] was looking for a dish that would go well with our Korean pancakes, and after a quick interwebs search I came across this dish at epicurious. Rather than the usual [...]