11th April 2010

Black-Eyed Pea, Ground Turkey, and Chard Stew

This stew is based on one made with ground lamb in Mediterranean Hot and Spicy. I don’t usually cook with black-eyed peas, and don’t think I’ve had many dishes where they were a main component — usually I’ve experienced them as a side dish. This stew was bursting with flavor and, according to Lisa, was even better the next day as delicious leftovers for lunch.

Oh, I love the spices in this. The flavors are awesome.

Yeah I really like all the different ways we’re finding to use the chard in our CSA box.

I want to make this with lamb some time, but actually, it really works with the ground turkey.

I think it’s great with the turkey — I just haven’t been in a lamby mood lately.

Well don’t feel baa-aa-aa-aad; this is definitely one of those recipes that’ll enter the rotation.

I only feel “baa-aa-aa-aad” for anyone reading this who had to put up with that pun.

Black-Eyed Pea, Ground Turkey, and Chard Stew
    1 cup dried black-eyed peas
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
    1/2 lb ground turkey
    2 tbsp red pepper paste
    1 cup canned chopped tomatoes, with juice
    pinch of hot red pepper flakes
    1 cup vegetable stock
    leaves from 1 bunch of chard, coarsely chopped

In a medium saucepan, cover the black-eyed peas with water by 2 inches, bring to a boil, and cook for 5 minutes. Drain, add fresh water just to cover the peas, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until just tender. Drain once again.
    In a dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the onion, salt to taste, and saute for four minutes until tender. Add the turkey and saute until firm and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Add the pepper paste and stir for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, red pepper flakes, black-eyed peas, and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the peas are very tender. Add the chard and toss to wilt. If the dish is watery, increase the heat and stir until mostly evaporated. Adjust seasonings, and serve.

This entry was posted on Sunday, April 11th, 2010 at 5:32 pm and is filed under Main Dishes, Mediterranean, Mediterranean Hot and Spicy, Middle Eastern. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 2 responses to “Black-Eyed Pea, Ground Turkey, and Chard Stew”

On April 13th, 2010,Brittany Vasseur said:

Made this tonight – its really delicious! I substituted tomato paste for red pepper paste and it was just as good.

On April 13th, 2010,Chris said:

Awesome — glad you liked it!