17th April 2008

Baked Halibut with Roasted Tomatoes and Potatoes

A really easy-to-make meal tonight based on a recipe from Rick Bayless’s Mexican Everyday. Halibut sits on a bed of sliced potatoes and carrots and is baked in a quick tomato-jalapeƱo salsa. I love recipes like this; they’re so adaptable to whatever fish or vegetables you’re in the mood for, are very healthy, and are on the table in under an hour.

Spicy!

Wow, it’s been a while since a dinner earned that declaration…

Well it is pretty spicy… and by the way, this is the best halibut ever.

Oooh, yeah, I think I timed it perfectly — it’s just starting to flake and is incredibly moist.

This is filling!

Well, we’re getting twice the veggies since all I did was use less fish than called for in 4-serving original recipe.

I wasn’t complaining, that’s for sure… šŸ™‚

I like that we’re once again proving that we [heart] cilantro.

Baked Halibut with Roasted Tomatoes and Potatoes
————————————————
4 medium (1 lb) Yukon Gold potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
4 thin carrots, cut in lengths
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt
1 15-oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
2 large garlic cloves, quartered
1/3 cup coarsely chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
1/4 cup sliced canned pickled jalapeƱos
1 tbsp jalapeƱo pickling juice
2 6-oz skinless halibut fillets

Turn on the oven to 400 degrees. Place the potoatoes and carrots into an 8″ square glass baking dish and drizzle over the oil and 1/2 tsp of salt. Toss to coat, then spread the potatoes in an even layer, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave on high for 4 minutes, until the potatoes are just tender.
Meanwhile, in a blender combine the tomatoes in their juices, garlic, cilantro, jalapeƱos, and pickling juice and puree, leaving just a little texture.
Lay the fish in a single layer over the potatoes and pour the tomato mixture evenly over the fish and potatoes.
Slide the baking dish into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the fish flakes when pressed firmly.
Garnish with cilantro and serve.

2 Generous portions

This entry was posted on Thursday, April 17th, 2008 at 8:44 pm and is filed under Main Dishes, Mexican, Mexican Everyday. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 2 responses to “Baked Halibut with Roasted Tomatoes and Potatoes”

On April 17th, 2008, abbie said:

you sick, sick cilantrophiles

On April 19th, 2008, farida said:

Nice recipe, although I am not sure ic I can handle jalapenos – I am not on friendly terms with too hot:)