14th November 2008

Chinese Egg Noodle and Shiitake-Ginger Soup

This strong-flavored soup is adapted from a recipe in Great Bowls of Fire. The original recipe called for ramen-style noodles, but we used chinese egg noodles and it came out great. The shiitakes and mushroom broth make this a shroom-tastic meal for this time of year. Veggie-licious!

I heart mushrooms.

And you heart vegetables.

Well now you know why I made this.

This is probably the darkest broth we’ve had in a long time.

That’s mostly from the mushroom broth — it was darker than the chicken or veggie broths we usually use.

I’m a big fan — and the cornstarch at the end thickened it up nicely. A pretty filling meal!

Noodle and Shiitake-Ginger Soup
1 8-oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1/4 lb extra-firm tofu, diced
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
4 tsp Szechuan sauce
1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch

Cook the noodles according to the package directions until al dente and set aside.
In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add the mushrooms, carrots, bell pepper, and ginger and cook for 7 minutes over medium heat, stirring. Add the bok choy and cook for 3 minutes more. Stir in the broth, water chestnuts, tofu, soy sauce, sesame oil, and Szechuan sauce and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and 1 1/2 tbsp cold water. Whisk the mixture into the soup and cook for 3 more minutes over low heat.
Use tongs to place the noodles in 4 soup bowls. Ladle the soup over the top and serve.

This entry was posted on Friday, November 14th, 2008 at 10:35 pm and is filed under Great Bowls of Fire, Main Dishes. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 2 responses to “Chinese Egg Noodle and Shiitake-Ginger Soup”

On November 17th, 2008, Erik said:

I am not a huge fan of mushrooms, but when I saw the picture my tummy started rumbling right away! I can’t believe how rich that broth looks!

On November 26th, 2008, Herbal Remedies Girl said:

That soup looks delicious. I love mushrooms and I can never find a good soup recipe that includes mushrooms. This looks yummy 🙂