15th December 2008

Maker’s Mark Bourbon-Soaked Dark Chocolate Bundt Cake

posted in Main Dishes |

makerscake

Lisa and I tag teamed to make this cake as a welcome-home-from-your-birthday-weekend treat for Abbie. The recipe in the New York Times doesn’t specify any particular brand of bourbon, but this is a Maker’s household, so that’s what we used.
[donotprint]

Smell it and see if you can guess the secret ingredient!

Thad says:

Booze!

Correct! But more specifically?

Abbie says:

Bourbon? Jack?

Maker’s!

Abbie says:

Wahoo! Okay — I have to have a slice right now.

Thad says:

Wow, you can really taste that bourbon in there…

I know, I felt like I was getting drunk tasting the batter.

Abbie says:

Oooh, this is SO good…

That’s half the reason we made it for you — it wouldn’t be stuck at our house; that would be VERY dangerous.

Abbie says:

You realize you just locked yourself in to making this every year, don’t you?

So NOT a problem. It’s bourbon. And CAKE!

[/donotprint]

Maker’s Mark Bourbon-Soaked Dark Chocolate Bundt Cake
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, more for greasing pan
2 cups all-purpose flour, more for dusting pan
5 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
1/4 cup instant espresso
2 tbsp unsweetened dark cocoa powder
1 cup Maker’s Mark bourbon
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
powdered sugar

Grease and flour a 10-cup-capacity Bundt pan. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In microwave oven, melt chocolate, and let cool.
Put espresso and cocoa powder in a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Add enough boiling water to come up to the 1 cup measuring line. Mix until powders dissolve. Add whiskey and salt; let cool.
Using an electric mixer, beat 1 cup butter until fluffy. Add sugar and beat until well combined. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract, baking soda and melted chocolate, scraping down sides of bowl with a rubber spatula.
On low speed, beat in a third of the whiskey mixture. When liquid is absorbed, beat in 1 cup flour. Repeat additions, ending with whiskey mixture. Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth top. Bake until a cake tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Meanwhile, pour yourself a Maker’s Mark on the rocks and enjoy.
Transfer cake to a rack. Unmold after 15 minutes and sprinkle warm cake with more whiskey. Let cool before serving, garnished with powdered sugar.

10-12 Servings

This entry was posted on Monday, December 15th, 2008 at 12:18 am and is filed under Main Dishes. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 13 responses to “Maker’s Mark Bourbon-Soaked Dark Chocolate Bundt Cake”

On December 15th, 2008, Cathleen said:

Um, you’ll need to make this when Chris, Theo, and I come to visit next month. ‘Cuz we’re coming a week after my birthday, which is still in the celebration window!!

On December 15th, 2008, Mark said:

So how does it taste to someone who doesn’t drink Bourbon? I know…silly question…you’re probably thinking…who doesn’t drink Bourbon.

On December 15th, 2008, LunaCafe said:

Ohhh… this looks so fantastic! I swear I can actually smell it fron here. 🙂 Can’t wait to make it.

On December 15th, 2008, Kate said:

Mm, good bourbon… and cake!

“Meanwhile, pour yourself a Maker’s Mark on the rocks and enjoy.” <— Amen to that.

On December 15th, 2008, muddywaters said:

Bourbon should play a more prominent role in the kitchen. I make a bread pudding sauce using bourbon.

thanks for sharing,
    muddywaters

On December 15th, 2008, Mallika said:

Does Bourbon in a cake count as alcohol? I’m limited to two units of the stuff a week… boo…

On December 15th, 2008, Chris said:

Mallika — I vote no! It’s cooked, right? Though, the extra that you pour on top *might* count, depending on how much extra there is. 😉

On December 16th, 2008, abbie said:

guys, best birthday-season cake EVER. i’m drunk already just *thinking* about eating more of it!

On December 24th, 2008, AmaDeCasa said:

gorgeous cake! chocolate and bourbon- what could be better??

i made up a glaze for mine:

2 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp bourbon, 2 tbsp brown sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1-2 tbsp milk, 1 c powdered sugar
    melt butter in small saucepan, add bourbon, brown sugar, and vanilla. simmer together, stirring constantly for 3-4 minutes. remove from heat, whisk in powdered sugar and add milk until pourable consistency is achieved and drizzle over warm cake. yummm…

On January 14th, 2011, Capricornucopia « Clary Sage said:

[…] Recipe from We Heart Food […]

On January 21st, 2012, Wendy said:

So, I made this recipe as a test case for mini bundt cakes. The first go-around I did not let the cakes cool long enough in the pan and half came out crumbled. I am going to use them as a basis for party invitations. This time I have let them cool a good 10 -15 minutes and they come out perfectly. I get 12 mini bundt cakes out of one recipe.

And they are absolutely delicious!

Thanks!

On February 26th, 2015, Lori said:

Ok, really dumb question here:

“1/4 cup instant espresso” – is that 1/4 of the grounds/crystals that you make espresso with, or 1/4 cup of brewed espresso? (My husband and I are disagreeing on this)

Also, how bad is it if I use salted butter?

On April 6th, 2015, Lou said:

On the 1/4 instant expresso, it is neither of those. Imagine if you put coffee grounds in – it would be gritty. But 1/4 cup of brewed expresso is not what is asked for either. Instant coffee comes in a jar and it will dissolve in hot water. It does not need to be brewed. They call for expresso instant coffee powder – stronger flavor than regular instant coffee. It is stronger than regular expresso (liquid) coffee.