4th October 2007

Catfish Creole Stew

Thad and Abbie came over tonight to be a part of Lisa’s first experience with catfish. This recipe comes from Great Bowls of Fire, which we’ve (sadly) been neglecting for a while, but now that we’re into the cooler weather I’m sure that spicy stews and hotpots are going to make a more regular appearance. Abbie and Thad brought over some cornbread to serve with the stew.

Abbie says:

Yuuum! Hey, why didn’t you take a picture of my cornbread?

Thad says:

It was good; I wasn’t paying much attention and then I looked at my bowl and realized I had eaten all my fish.

I haven’t had much catfish since moving from Dallas… I used to love me some fried catfish and hushpuppies… Lisa, what did you think about your first taste of catfish??

It’s good… catfish tastes…. fishy. I mean, fishier than some other fish. I think I’d have it again.

Catfish Creole Stew
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 tsp bottled red hot sauce
    1 1/2 lbs boneless catfish fillets, coarsely chopped
    4 cups cooked long-grain white rice

In a large saucepan, heat 1 tbsp of the oil. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring, for 6 minutes over medium-high heat. Add the stewed tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil, thyme, black pepper, cayenne pepper, salt, and hot sauce and bring to a simmer. Cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil. Stir in the catfish and cook, stirring, over medium-high heat until the catfish is cooked in the center and opaque, about 7 minutes. Fold the fish into the sauce and return to a simmer.
    Spoon the rice into shallow bowls and ladle the stew over the rice. Serve with corn bread.

This entry was posted on Thursday, October 4th, 2007 at 11:29 pm and is filed under Cajun, Great Bowls of Fire, Main Dishes. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 2 responses to “Catfish Creole Stew”

On October 6th, 2007,Cynthia said:

Hi Chris, thanks for visiting my blog and helping me to discover yours.

Love fish stews with rice just as you have made here.

On October 7th, 2007,Pamela said: