9th January 2008

Chipotle Bean Burgers

posted in Main Dishes |

Lisa modified a recipe from Southern Living and created hands-down the best homemade bean burgers we’ve tasted. Accompanying the burgers were roasted portobello mushrooms, corn salsa, and an adobo mayonnaise.

I’m in love!

They’re pretty damned good…

I mean I’m in love with you cooking these awesome dishes!

Don’t get too used to it, I feel like I’ve been cooking for hours.

Well worth it — and there’s a bunch of leftovers, so next time it’ll only take a few minutes to heat up. It all evens out. Anyway, substituting chipotle peppers for the jalapeno in the recipe was such a good call. That smoky flavor of the burger was perfect with that adobo mayo.

Well it *is* chipotle week… we had a lot to go through. Don’t feel like you have to eat all the accompaniments, I just love roasted mushrooms so I went ahead and made them.

Are you kidding? I’m all about condiments. I’m having it all.

Chipotle Bean Burgers
    1/2 cup salsa
    2 tablespoons self-rising cornmeal mix
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    cooking spray

Sauté first 4 ingredients in hot olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until onion is tender.
    Mash black beans and pinto beans in a large bowl; stir in onion mixture, salsa, and next 4 ingredients. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
    Shape mixture into 8 patties. Place on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Coat patties evenly with cooking spray. Chill 30 minutes.
    Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until browned and thoroughly heated.

Serve on a bun with whatever condiments suit your fancy. You can make adobo mayo by adding one teaspoon of adobo sauce to some light mayonnaise.

Serves 8

Since we loved, loved, loved these burgers, let’s submit this to the Legume Love Affair Event!

This entry was posted on Wednesday, January 9th, 2008 at 10:54 pm and is filed under Main Dishes. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 6 responses to “Chipotle Bean Burgers”

On January 10th, 2008,Susan said:

I’m sold! W/ corn salsa, bellos and adobo mayo, too? Too good!

Thanks for your entry.

On January 10th, 2008,Chris said:

Tastespotting #7339

On January 10th, 2008,Cynthia said:

The burgers look moist and not dry that some bean burgers I’ve had.

On January 11th, 2008,Homesick Texan said:

I’ve been cutting down on my meat intake, but have been dissatisfied with the store-bought vegetable burgers. As I’m a fan of all things beans and chipotle, I can’t wait to try these.

On February 22nd, 2011,anna said:

I’ve been making bean burgers for a while now but I love that you added the chipotle pepper in adobo! I always have tons left over after making chili.

On August 20th, 2013,Covert_oops said:

This is BY FAR the best bean burger recipe I have come across. Thank you!
      I made 3 minor changes: it makes 6 not 8, I add a little cilantro, and it’s better cooked in a pan than in the oven (gets less dried out).