9th January 2008

Golden Beets and Brussels Sprouts

posted in Sides |

Lisa made this dish tonight, from Elise’s Simply Recipes, to go with the black bean burgers. Roasted beets and parboiled Brussels sprouts are quickly sauteed in a pan with roasted almonds, shallots, and thyme.

How come I like Brussels sprouts all of a sudden?

Because they’re delicious?

But every time I’ve had them they’ve either been really bitter, or so disguised that you couldn’t even taste them at all — these are awesome.

You finally had them cooked right, sucka.

Wow, I might like these even more than the ones we made at Thanksgiving. Delicious!

It’s a great recipe — though I cut the oil in half, and I’d call it 2-3 servings, not 3-4.

Golden Beets and Brussels Sprouts
    (via Simply Recipes)
    ———————————-
    2 medium sized golden beets
    10 brussels sprouts
    1 shallot, peeled and sliced
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped (can substitute a 1 teaspoon of dried thyme)
    2 tbsp almond slivers, toasted
    salt and freshly ground pepper

Place the beets in a roasting pan, and place in a 350 degree oven for an hour and fifteen minutes. When beets are done, remove from the pan, let cool for 10 minutes, then peel and cut into 1-1/2″ chunks. While beets are roasting, toast raw almonds in a pan over medium heat until browned, then set aside.
    Fill a small saucepan halfway with water and bring to a boil. Add the brussels sprouts and cook for 2-3 minutes, until almost cooked through. Drain, let cool, then cut in half and chop off protruding stems.
    In a skillet over medium heat add half a tablespoon of the oil. Add the shallots and cook until translucent, then add another half tablespoon of oil and raise the heat to medium-high. Add the sprouts, beets, and thyme, stirring as you go. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook for an additional minute, then toss with the toasted almonds.

2-3 Servings

This entry was posted on Wednesday, January 9th, 2008 at 10:35 pm and is filed under Sides. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 15 responses to “Golden Beets and Brussels Sprouts”

On January 10th, 2008,Patricia Scarpin said:

The dish looks wonderful – great photo!

On January 10th, 2008,hanne hanne said:

I agree with Patricia– what a beautiful photo. My husband and I have had the same conversation about Brussels sprouts. He’s liked them since he was a little boy, but I’m still not 100% about them. I love the idea of having them with the sweetness of beets. Delicious!

On January 10th, 2008,Chris said:

Patricia — Thanks! I like the photo too. :)

Hanne Hanne — What I really liked about these was that they didn’t have that “bitter” taste I usually associate with them. Maybe because they’re cooked so quickly? They were cooked, yet still crisp. I really, really enjoyed them.

On January 10th, 2008,DocChuck said:

Gotta be delicious. Will try as soon as we can get to Wegmans for the golden beets. Your GREAT photo should win an award of some type!

Thanks.

On January 10th, 2008,Brilynn said:

I love brussels sprouts in a maple vinaigrette, but I’d definitely give this a try!

On January 10th, 2008,Chris said:

Tastespotting #7322

On January 11th, 2008,Hanna said:

could you use regular beets? I can’t get golden beets anywhere around here.

On January 11th, 2008,Chris said:

Hanna — I’m sure you could, but I’d fear it turning the entire dish red. :)

On January 13th, 2008,Cathleen said:

Long live the Brussels sprout! Listen to your smart wife–they rock! Pair them with beets–the ultimate combination! This looks soooooo yummy…..

On January 15th, 2008,MrsDocChuck said:

I had to make this without the Brussels Sprouts, due to my husband’s terrible chronic bloating condition.

Even without them, it was a delicious dish, which we will make again when our wallets afford it, since golden beets are a bit pricy at Wegman’s.

Thanks!

~ Liz, RN

On May 25th, 2008,Top 10 Photos » We [Heart] Food said:

[...] Brussels Sprouts and Golden Beets — this picture won me over not only for the gorgeous colors, but also for the fact that as a life-long Brussels sprouts HATER, I couldn’t believe how crunchy and flavorful the dish was. It made me a convert. [...]

On December 14th, 2008,Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta and Pine Nuts » We [Heart] Food said:

[...] sprouts hater, I can pretty much guarantee that if I hadn’t already been won over by the two other recipes featured on this site, this one would have done the job. Because, really, [...]

On January 6th, 2010,golden beets & brussels sprouts « nummy nims said:

[...] are soooo good.  I’m going to have to make them more often.  The original recipe is from weheartfood but I made a few slight alterations to it so that’s what I will include here, but you can [...]

On January 25th, 2011,brussels sprouts are magical things : Old Sweet Song said:

[...] Golden Beets and Brussels Sprouts Category: get in my belly! [...]

On July 13th, 2013,Dunz said:

How about using red beets? Any major flavor change or just presentation?
      Tks.