19th February 2008

Taste & Create VI: Cranberry Almond Blondies

posted in Desserts |

I realized late last night that time was running out for Taste & Create VI, and with the rest of our week already planned out and our being out of town this weekend, my options for creating a dish from Kelly’s Sounding My Barbaric Gulp were dwindling. Luckily, she recently featured a recipe that sounded quick, delicious, and utilized ingredients that we (for the most part) already had on hand. I did have to make a substitution: fresh raspberries have been hard to come by recently, so I substituted frozen cranberries that I still had on hand from the last T&C event. Huzzah for that miracle of the modern age, the ice-box.

How is it that you ended up baking again?

I don’t know — at least this time there aren’t any professional bakers around to taste my wares.

And it looks like this one only took like an hour…

Yes! Very easy, and I’m happy with the results. I like the tartness of the cranberries against the sweet of the cake.

I like the sweet of the batter when I lick the bowl.

Cranberry Almond Blondies
    ————————-
    9 tbsp unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
    1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    3/4 tsp salt
    1 cup packed light-brown sugar
    2 large eggs
    1 tsp pure vanilla extract
    1 cup sliced almonds, (3 ounces), toasted
    1/2 cup cranberries, sliced
    confectioners’ sugar, for dusting

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a buttered 8-inch square baking pan with foil, allowing 2 inches to hang over sides. Butter lining (excluding overhang); set pan aside.
    Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl, and set aside.
    Put butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer; cream on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until combined. Add flour mixture, and beat on low speed, scraping down sides of bowl, until well incorporated. Mix 3/4 cup almonds into batter.
    Pour oh-so-thick batter into prepared pan; spread with a rubber spatula. Scatter cranberries and remaining 1/4 cup nuts over batter in pan. Bake until a cake tester inserted into blondies (avoid center and edges) comes out with a few crumbs but is not wet, 55 to 60 minutes. Dust with confectioners’ sugar before cutting into squares.

16 small squares

This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 19th, 2008 at 12:32 am and is filed under Desserts. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 2 responses to “Taste & Create VI: Cranberry Almond Blondies”

On February 19th, 2008,KELLY SCHMICKLE said:

Looks good!

I make some of those meat pies last night:

They were great!

On February 29th, 2008,Cynthia said:

I’d love to have a couple of those blondies with a big cup of tea!