16th February 2008

Quinoa with Butternut Squash and Carrot Stew

posted in Main Dishes |

Tonight we prepared this delicious, easy to make stew and quinoa dish, adapted from a recipe in Bon Appetit magazine. I’d never actually made quinoa before, and was surprised at its appearance before cooking — it’s a lot smaller than I thought. It plumps up nicely when cooked, and has a unique texture — it’s light and fluffy, but the germ separates from the grain and adds a slight crunch to each bite. Delicious.

This is one of my new favorite vegetarian dinners. I really like the taste of the spices with the squash and carrots.

Abbie says:

Mmmmmm! Yeah, what is that spice?

There’s a bunch of spices in there, but you’re probably tasting the cayenne…

Abbie says:

Gives it a little kick!

By the way, butternut squash seeds look a lot like pumpkin seeds… I wonder if anyone ever roasts them?

Thad says:

I’m sure you could… mmm, thanks for making us dinner!

Abbie says:

Yeah, really .. recipe please!

Quinoa with Butternut Squash and Carrot Stew

1/4 cup finely chopped peeled carrot
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric
    2 cups water

The stew:
    Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; sauté until soft, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; stir 1 minute. Mix in the dry spices. Add 1 cup water, the drained tomatoes, and the lemon juice, and bring to boil. Add the squash and carrots. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

The quinoa:
    Rinse quinoa and drain. Melt butter with oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and carrot. Cover; cook until vegetables begin to brown, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, salt, and turmeric; sauté 1 minute. Add quinoa; stir 1 minute. Add 2 cups water and bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover; simmer until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.

4-6 servings

This entry was posted on Saturday, February 16th, 2008 at 4:22 pm and is filed under Main Dishes. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 5 responses to “Quinoa with Butternut Squash and Carrot Stew”

On February 18th, 2008,Skinny said:

what a delicious combination. Healthy too!

On February 18th, 2008,Kevin said:

This sounds both tasty and healthy.

On February 20th, 2008,Kalyn said:

It does sound delicious. I love all the spices you’ve used here!

On September 15th, 2008,Esther said:

I just made your recipe! :) It’s in the crockpot right now and it smells awesome!

On September 25th, 2008,megan said:

I just made this after looking on Tastespotting to see what I should do with the butternut squash I just bought. :)
      For the stew, I realized I didn’t have any tomatoes so I threw in a can of chickpeas instead. And no cumin or turmeric either so I put in about 1 1/2 tbsp of curry powder. Then I was feeling like it didn’t have enough liquid, so I added about 1 cup of vegetable broth.
      The quinoa I simplified by using vegetable broth to cook it, about 1 1/2 tbsp of chopped garlic from the jar, and a splash of curry powder.
      I paired them with some beet mashed potatoes… And had a delicious fall dinner. Thanks! I’d definitely make this again.