27th May 2008

Mango Barbecued Swordfish

This perfect summer recipe is adapted from the McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood Restaurant Cookbook, which I recently received from my boss at work (Thanks, Bill!). I was drawn to this recipe because the salsa reminded me of the one we created to use in our fish taco recipe — mangoes, pineapple, cilantro, onion — and the coconut curry rice sounded awesome. We weren’t let down, we both really enjoyed this dish. Hooray for grilling season! The recipe may look a bit complicated because you have to make the sauce(s) separately, but they come together pretty quickly.

Oh my GAWD — I love this rice.

Weren’t you just talking about coconut curry rice this weekend?

Yes! My dinner at Bick’s came with that rice.

How does this compare?

This wins because we made it here.

I really like the mango barbecue sauce — fruity, smokey, and just a little kick of spice from the chutney.

…and of course, the mango salsa rules.

…of course. There’s triple sec in it.

Mango Barbecued Swordfish
    2 7-oz swordfish steaks
    2 tbsp vegetable oil
    salt
    pepper
    1/2 cup Mango Barbecue Sauce (recipe below)
    1/2 cup long-grain rice
    3/4 cup Coconut Curry Sauce (recipe below)
    6 tbsp Tropical Fruit Salsa (recipe below)
    cilantro, for garnish

Oil and season the fish with salt and pepper, and grill for 4 minute per side, or until just done. Baste frequently with the Mango Barbecue Sauce. Prepare the rice per package directions, and when done, pour 1/2 the Coconut Curry Sauce in and toss to coat. Place the rice in the center of the serving plates. Place the fish on the rice and drizzle the remaining sauce around the plate. Top the fish with the salsa and sprigs of cilantro.

Coconut Curry Sauce
    1 cup coconut milk
    1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
    1/4 cup peanut butter
    1 cup chicken stock
    3 tbsp green Thai curry paste
    2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
    2 tsp kosher salt

In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine all ingredients and simmer for 8-10 minutes until somewhat thickened.

Makes 2 cups

Mango Barbecue Sauce
    4 tbsp coconut milk
    1/2 cup hot mango chutney
    1 mango, peeled and diced
    2 tbsp chopped cilantro
    4 tbsp store-bought barbecue sauce

Combine all ingredients in food processor and puree until smooth.

Makes 1 cup

Tropical Fruit Salsa
    2 tbsp fresh mango, diced 1/4 inch
    2 tbsp fresh papaya, diced 1/4 inch
    4 tbsp fresh pineapple, diced 1/4 inch
    2 tbsp diced red onion
    2 tbsp diced red bell pepper
    2 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
    salt, pinch
    pepper, pinch
    cumin, pinch
    1 tsp cilantro
    2 splashes triple sec

Combine all ingredients, season to taste.

Makes about 1 cup

This entry was posted on Tuesday, May 27th, 2008 at 11:30 pm and is filed under Main Dishes, McCormick & Schmick. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 3 responses to “Mango Barbecued Swordfish”

On May 28th, 2008,c-note said:

The tropical fruit salsa reminds me of a mango salsa I copied from Louie’s restaurant in Key West, sans the Pineapple and papaya, and plus some minced jalapenos, habaneros, and garlic. Looks like I have my grilling plan for this weekend… although I may substitute grouper or red snapper for swordfish. mmmmm

On May 28th, 2008,Chris said:

Yeah, we put minced jalapeños in the one we use for the fish tacos… this recipe actually called for Ono, but I wasn’t able to pick any up over the weekend.

On May 28th, 2008,Ginny said:

Delicious! I love the flavor combinations! You can never go wrong with mango salsa!