21st October 2008

Basque Fish and Potato Stew

Here’s another really easy weeknight dish; we based the recipe on one found in Fresh Spanish. Traditionally, this stew is made with tuna, but any firm-fleshed fish will work. We used mahi-mahi and were very pleased with the results.

Yay soup!

This cold weather certainly gets me in the mood for it…

What fish is this?

Mahi-mahi, but the original recipe used tuna…

Mmmm, it’s good.

Capers rule. They’re like little bursts of salt.

So’s the salt.

Okay, tonight you earn the sigh…

Fish and Potato Stew
    12 oz mahi-mahi (or any firm-fleshed fish), cut into large bite-sized pieces
    1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
    red onion, halved and thinly sliced
    4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    3 small roma tomatoes, skinned, seeded, and chopped
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
    1/2 tbsp mild paprika
    3/4 lb potatoes, peeled and cut into large bite-sized pieces
    salt and fresh ground black pepper
    parsley, chopped
    capers

Arrange the fish in a shallow bowl and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and set aside.
    Heat the oil in a medium-sized saucepan, add the onion and garlic, and cook over medium heat until softened. Add the tomatoes, bay leaf, bell pepper, paprika, and potatoes, and stir to mix well. Add just enough water to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Add in the fish, return to a boil, and cook for an additional 4 minutes. Serve ladled into bowls and garnish with parsley and capers.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, October 21st, 2008 at 9:27 pm and is filed under Fresh Spanish, Main Dishes, Spanish. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 9 responses to “Basque Fish and Potato Stew”

On October 21st, 2008,Hélène said:

Another lovely meal. Great picture.

On October 22nd, 2008,Cathleen said:

Mmmm, capers DO rule!!

On October 22nd, 2008,Sophie said:

What a gorgeous stew :) ! I’ve been making quite a bit of stews lately, but I haven’t thought of using fish; great idea! I would love to include your recipe in our pre-loaded Demy, the first and only digital recipe reader. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if you’re interested.

To find out more about the Demy, you can visit this site:

Thanks!

On October 22nd, 2008,Tastes of Home said:

wow, this looks like a great stew – now I know how else to cook the mahi mahi that my hubby catches! thanks !

On October 22nd, 2008,matt wright said:

Blimey, I am a fellow Seattle blogger, and don’t think I have come across your blog before! How the heck did that happen..

A great looking soup I have to say. How is that Fresh Spanish book? I am looking at getting into modern Spanish food more next year.

On October 22nd, 2008,Chris said:

Matt — Considering we got it in the Bargain Books section @ Barnes & Noble for $7.98, it’s pretty good. ;) We’ve only made a couple recipes from it so far, but looks promising.

On October 22nd, 2008,Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said:

Yes, this has all of the wonderful Basque flavors. I’m bookmarking!

On October 26th, 2008,Foodycat said:

That is a fantastic photo! And the recipe sounds delicious.

On March 22nd, 2012,Debbie said:

This was great! I was in a rush so I used canned tomatoes and jarred roasted red peppers. I used regular and sweet potatoes. I would definitely make this again.