18th November 2008

Barley and Roasted Vegetable Salad

We brought this salad to a party, it sounded pretty hearty and would be appreciated by vegetarians and meat-eaters alike: who doesn’t like roasted veggies? The original recipe, from Cooking Light, features eggplant and yellow squash, which we nixed and substituted asparagus and winter squash. The combination was fantastic, the only slight mis-step perhaps was replacing the original’s feta (which we didn’t have on-hand) with mozzarella (which we did): the dish seemed like it needed some extra seasoning that the salty, bold feta would have provided.

Oh asparagus, how I’ve missed you…

What the heck are you doing?

What do you mean?

You’re looking way too lovingly at that bowl of barley.

What can I say? You did a great job on this. Really tasty and filling.

Don’t forget “healthy”… I still think we should have picked up some feta.

Totally agree — I just didn’t want to waste the cheese we already had

You shouldn’t have worried… you know that would have gotten eaten…

True! Well, like I said, I liked it anyway.

I did too… just add more salt if you’re not going to use feta!

Barley and Roasted Vegetable Salad

(Dressing)
    1/3 cup red wine vinegar
    5 tsp extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 tsp sea salt

1/3 cup mozzarella cheese, torn

Preheat oven to 400°.
    To prepare salad, cook pearl barley according to package directions. (Generally, add 3x as much water as barley, bring to a boil, and cook ~45 minutes, or until tender). Let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Spoon barley into large bowl.

Place peppers and asparagus on one shallow baking pan coated with cooking spray; place zucchini and squash in another shallow baking pan coated with cooking spray. Coat vegetables with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Place pan with squash on top rack in the oven and pan with asparagus on middle rack. Bake at 400° for 12 minutes or until squash and zucchini are tender. Remove pan with squash, and move pan with asparagus to top rack. Bake peppers and asparagus an additional 8 minutes or until tender. Cool. Cut vegetables into 1/2-inch pieces. Add vegetables, parsley, and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) to barley; toss gently.

To prepare dressing, combine vinegar, oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring well with a whisk. Add dressing to barley mixture; toss. Top with cheese.

8 1-1/2 cup servings

This entry was posted on Tuesday, November 18th, 2008 at 6:37 pm and is filed under Salads and Light Soups, Sides. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 11 responses to “Barley and Roasted Vegetable Salad”

On November 19th, 2008,canarygirl said:

Criminy! This looks hellaciously good. And agree that the feta would rock this. Barley and roasted veggies together sounds like a perfect combo!

On November 19th, 2008,Chris said:

CG — I really, really liked the winter squash in it (the sweetness of it was a nice differentiator from the other veggies), but Lisa didn’t like it as much. Yes, feta’s betta!

On November 21st, 2008,Herbal Remedies Girl said:

That looks absolutely delicious! Yum, thanks for the recipe :)

On November 22nd, 2008,Abby said:

What a beautiful meal! They say you should eat lots of colors! I don’t know who “they” are, but I think they’d approve of your meal!

On November 22nd, 2008,Joanna said:

that looks like a really refreshing and light salad. i’d end up eating it as a meal because i just love veggies with pasta.

On November 22nd, 2008,Laurie said:

Great recipe! This is my first visit and I love the dialogue! Too funny, and instructive too.

On November 25th, 2008,farida said:

Delicious looking salad!

On December 8th, 2008,Rachel said:

I’m intrigued by hatch chilies, so thanks for this recipe.

On December 9th, 2008,Joan said:

That looks so delicious. Wish someone would make me some.

On January 27th, 2009,Roasted Vegetables with Chickpeas and Couscous » We [Heart] Food said:

[...] says: It reminds me of that dish I made for a party a few months [...]

On April 27th, 2009,megan said:

Hmmm – I had to make quite a few substitutions. First brown rice (because I was too lazy to find barley in the store), pumpkins instead of squash (because pumpkins are popular in NZ), and brocoli (because I had extra). But it was yummy good! Next time I’m grilling the veggies.