4th November 2008

Fideos a la Catalana, and GO OBAMA!

In tonight’s dish, adapted from Fresh Spanish, chicken sausage is cooked with garlic, onions, and tomatoes, and mixed with a short pasta for a hearty main course. Use fideo if you can find it, but if not, vermicelli or thin spaghetti broken into short lengths will work.

Well I’m going to complain about this one, but I know how I’d change it.

What are you complaining about? I really like the taste.

Oh I really like the taste, too. I just think the pasta is way overcooked, so it’s a little mushy.

Hmmmm, well, I still like it. So why do you think it came out this way?

Two reasons: we didn’t have vermicelli, so I used cappellini, which is even thinner, and there was a bit too much liquid. Also, I’ve seen in other recipes that the pasta is often toasted/sauteed before adding the broth.

So you’re saying we’ll have this again, but better?

Indeed! And I’m listing the recipe with the changes I’d make. The Change We Need.

Wait — what does Obama have to do with this recipe?

Not a damn thing. But HOLY CRAP, we just witnessed history.

Wahoo!

Fideos a la Catalana
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 1/4 lb large fresh chicken sausages
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
    1 tsp mild paprika
    8 oz vermicelli, cut into short lengths
    3-4 cups chicken broth
    salt and freshly ground pepper
    chopped parsley, to garnish

Heat half the oil in a 12-inch shallow casserole or skillet with a lid. Add the sausages and cook over a medium-high heat, turning frequently, for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Heat the remaining oil in the pan, add the onion and garlic and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes until soft. Add the pasta and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat until very lightly toasted. Add the tomatoes and paprika, stirring, for 3-4 minutes further. Return the sausages to the pan, add 3 cups of the chicken broth. Season to taste, stir to mix, and bring to a boil. Continue to cook until the pasta is cooked and the water absorbed, adding broth if necessary. Stir and sprinkle with the chopped parsley.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, November 4th, 2008 at 11:33 pm and is filed under Fresh Spanish, Main Dishes, Spanish. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 7 responses to “Fideos a la Catalana, and GO OBAMA!”

On November 5th, 2008,Chocolate Shavings said:

That looks really good – I am bookmarking this!

On November 5th, 2008,El Gray said:

That sounds GOOD. I might try it!

Also, hooray for America!

On November 5th, 2008,Jon said:

Those sausages look amazing!

On November 6th, 2008,[eatingclub] vancouver || js said:

Looks good! And the outcome was good too. =)

On November 9th, 2008,canarygirl said:

Oooooh! Delicious! Fideos! I can get that here! lmao (I am always complaining about not being able to get ingredients) Sounds like a great recipe, guys! :)

On November 9th, 2008,Sopa de Fideo » We [Heart] Food said:

[...] still have noodles left over from the Fideos a la Catalana, and it’s definitely been soup weather lately, so we thought this would be a perfect dish to [...]

On November 13th, 2008,matt wright said:

Great looking dish. On a first look it almost looked like a funky paella. Yay for America.