29th January 2009

Broccoli and Tempeh Rice Bowl

broctempehstirfry

Tonight’s Vegetarian Week feature comes from the Washington Local and Seasonal Cookbook: tempeh, broccoli, and peppers are quickly stir fried with a sesame-soy marinade and served over a bowl of brown rice. This recipe is really quick to make — the longest part will be waiting for your rice to cook, so get that going right away.

I heart stir-frys. And it looks like you didn’t sneak any chicken broth this time.

Totally vegetarian, this one. How do you like the tempeh?

It’s certainly better than seitan… I didn’t like that stuff at all. I think I like tofu the best though…hey, this tempeh has more calories!!!

You’re not going to have a tempeh tantrum, are you? It might have more calories, but it’s also less processed than tofu.

No, I’m just sayin’.

I wonder how popular this stuff is in Tempe, Arizona.

Do you really? Come on.

1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
    1/4 cup snow peas
    1/4 cup green onions, cut 1/4″ wide
    2 tsp black sesame seeds
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    2 cups hot, cooked brown rice

In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, mirin, miso, sesame oil, and cornstarch. Whisk until well blended and set aside.
    Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ginger, garlic, and lemongrass and saute for 1 minute or until it just starts to brown. Add the tempeh and saute for 2 minutes, then add teh broccoli, peppers, and snow peas and saute for an additional 2 minutes. Add the reserved marinade and cook for 1 minute, until sauce thickens a bit. Remove from the heat and stir in green onions, sesame seeds, and salt. Serve over rice.

2-3 Servings

This entry was posted on Thursday, January 29th, 2009 at 12:26 am and is filed under Main Dishes, Vegetarian, Washington Local and Seasonal. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 3 responses to “Broccoli and Tempeh Rice Bowl”

On January 29th, 2009,Cathleen said:

I went to college in Tempe and never came across tempeh while there…sorry to tell you. I had many a tempeh tantrum over it, though, and was very tempehed to open my own tempeh restaurant. ;-)

On January 29th, 2009,Dana said:

I do like tempeh, but it does take some getting used to. I always steam mine first for about 10 minutes which helps get rid of some of the bitter flavor. Love your site!

On January 30th, 2009,Hayley said:

I’ve heard such good things about tempeh, I just have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing!