30th January 2009

Soft Tacos with Green Chard, Caramelized Onions, and Queso Fresco

chardtacos

These delicious tacos from Mexican Everyday are filled with a mixture of caramelized onions and sauteed green chard — definitely a departure from the norm for us! When we make tacos at home, we’re more likely to fill them with mahi-mahi or shredded chicken. We picked this recipe because it’s Vegetarian Week here at We [Heart] Food, but these were good enough that they’re likely to make an appearance in the usual rotation.

Is it just me, or is CSA box day almost like Christmas?

Sorta… though do you usually eat your Christmas presents?

Oh. Not really. Okay, so it’s not like Christmas, but it’s still exciting.

I agree — so the veggies in these tacos came from the box?

Yep! I’m glad I found this recipe; tacos aren’t the first thing I think of when I see chard… but these turned out really well. The chard has that slight earthy taste that combines nicely with the slight sweetness of the caramelized onions.

Glad we’re having rice and beans with them, or I’d still be hungry.

Same here… oh yum, I forgot how much I like that tomatillo salsa.

Is it spicy?

This batch not as much; I didn’t add as much of the adobo sauce from the chipotles.

These tacos rule. Yay for Vegetarian week!

Soft Tacos with Green Chard, Caramelized Onions, and Queso Fresco
    1 (12-ounce) bunch green chard, thick lower stems cut off
    1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
    1 large red onion, sliced 1/4″ thick
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tsp red pepper flakes
    1/2 cup water
    Salt
    warm corn tortillas
    crumbled Mexican queso fresco
    smoky chipotle salsa (recipe in this post)
    cilantro

Cut chard crosswise into 1/2″ slices. In a very large (12-inch) skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown but still crunchy, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and stir for a few seconds, until aromatic, then add water, 1/2 tsp salt and the chard. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pan, and cook until chard is almost tender, about 5 minutes.
    Uncover pan, increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring continually, until mixture is nearly dry. Taste and season with additional salt if necessary. Serve in warm tortillas, topped with cheese, cilantro, and salsa.

Makes about 8 tacos, depending on how full you like ‘em.

This entry was posted on Friday, January 30th, 2009 at 11:16 am and is filed under Main Dishes, Mexican, Mexican Everyday, Vegetarian. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 5 responses to “Soft Tacos with Green Chard, Caramelized Onions, and Queso Fresco”

On January 30th, 2009,farida said:

Looks nice and fresh! I wonder if chard could be substituted with spinach.

On January 30th, 2009,Chris said:

Absolutely — use about 10 cups spinach, and when you lower the heat, only cook the spinach for a couple of minutes instead of the five for chard.

On February 3rd, 2009,Joie de vivre said:

I think getting CSA boxes are like Christmas too. Ours won’t start again for another four months!

On March 30th, 2009,February Food Letter | Macheesmo said:

[...] Soft Tacos with Green Chard (@ We Heart Food) [...]

On August 10th, 2009,So fast, so fresh, so good! Rainbow Chard Soft Tacos with Black Bean and Corn Salsa » We [Heart] Food said:

[...] says: Yeah, there were the chard tacos from the Rick Bayless [...]