21st January 2008

Arroz Rojo con Pollo y Frijoles Negros

Yep, that’s Chicken and Rice with black beans… this recipe is based on one in Rick Bayless’s Mexican Everyday cookbook and was a nice smoky twist on the usual. What really elevated the dish was a quick homemade chipotle-tomatillo salsa that we spooned on; as our dishes emptied we proceeded to just consume the salsa straight out of the bowl. 😉

Spic- hey, this isn’t spicy!

See? It’s your dream come true, a dish that I don’t make too spicy for you, so that you can actually add salsa.

Hey, I like a little spice…

That’s what I’m saying… add as much as you want. This salsa rules.

Yeah it does! I like the smoky taste of this dish.

It’s mighty tasty. We could make this into a party dish, maybe for the — hey, where are you going?

I’m getting more bites!

Chicken and Rice with Black Beans
———————————
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
salt
2 1/2 tbsp ancho chile powder
1 medium white onion, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 cup rice
5 garlic cloves
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup chopped green onions
cilantro to garnish
smoky chipotle salsa (see below)

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Salt the chicken breasts, then sprinkle both sides with 1 tablespoon of the ancho chile powder. Lay them in the hot oil to brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove from the pot and set aside. Leave the oil in the pan. Add the rice and onion, and stir for 4-5 minutes or until the rice starts to look dry and opaque. Add the garlic and the remaining chile powder and stir for another minute. Add the broth and up to a teaspoon of salt, and stir well. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium-low, cover, and let cook for 10 minutes.
Cut the chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes, uncover the pot, and add the chicken and beans. Re-cover the pot and cook for an additional 12 minutes.
Uncover, stir in the green onions, then remove from the heat and let sit, covered, for 5 to 10 minutes.
Garnish with cilantro, and serve with smoky chipotle salsa.

Smoky Chipotle Salsa
——————–
4 garlic cloves
4 medium tomatillos, husked, rinsed, and cut in half
2 canned chipotle peppers
salt

Set a large skillet over medium-high heat, and add the garlic and tomatillos, cut-side down. When the tomatillos are browned, after 3-4 minutes, turn everything over and brown the other side.
Add the garlic, tomatillos, chipotle peppers, and 1/4 cup water to a blender and puree. Add salt to taste.

This entry was posted on Monday, January 21st, 2008 at 9:34 pm and is filed under Main Dishes, Mexican, Mexican Everyday. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 11 responses to “Arroz Rojo con Pollo y Frijoles Negros”

On January 22nd, 2008, Cynthia said:

Fresh and flavourful food does not get any better than this!

On January 22nd, 2008, Kevin said:

That smoky chipotle salsa sounds really tasty.

On January 23rd, 2008, canarygirl said:

Wow, this sounds so much better than “regular” old arroz con pollo! I even have a can of chipotles in the pantry! I see this in my future, I tell ya. 🙂

On January 23rd, 2008, Lockness said:

I made this last night for dinner and it was spectacular!! I am just pissed that we ate all the salsa in one sitting b/c now I don’t have any to snack on. Thanks for posting!!

On January 23rd, 2008, Chris said:

Thanks for the comments, all!
    Cynthia — true!
    Kevin, lockness — that salsa is awesome, we ate it all in one setting as well. 🙂
    canarygirl — if you make it, let me know how it goes

On January 23rd, 2008, Chris said:

TasteSpotting #7722

On January 24th, 2008, Sarah said:

This looks so delicious.
    I’m loving your blog!

On November 20th, 2008, martha lucia said:

por favor en espanol.

On January 30th, 2009, Soft Tacos with Green Chard, Caramelized Onions, and Queso Fresco » We [Heart] Food said:

[…] 1/2 cup water Salt warm corn tortillas crumbled Mexican queso fresco smoky chipotle salsa (recipe in this post) […]

On March 1st, 2011, Mighty List: Emily Bayless Project 26-30 | Notorious MLE said:

[…] you like to make this recipe? Well you can! I found it online here. (Note-the chipotle sauce is an addition by the website, I didn’t make one for my dish) […]

On April 14th, 2016, Arroz con pollo and radish salsa – Cooking Every Day said:

[…] is our go-to chicken and rice recipe, Arroz rojo con pollo y frijoles negros based on a recipe from Rick Bayless’s Mexican Everyday, a book we did borrow from the […]