10th February 2009

Ultimate Veggie Mini-Burgers

sproutburgers

This recipe from Super Natural Cooking: Five Ways To Incorporate Whole and Natural Ingredients into Your Cooking sounded pretty interesting — it’s not your Garden(burger) variety veggie patty. With this recipe, the veggie patty is the bun, so you don’t end up with such a dry burger. You can then fill it with whatever strikes your fancy: we used avocado, sauteed shrooms, tomato, and sprouts.

Ha, these are awesome! It’s like an inside-out burger.

I know — not only do they taste delicious, they look pretty fancy. We should make them for our next party.

I could totally see that — have a tray filled with these guys already assembled. Yum.

I bet these would be good with guacamole…

That holds true with most things, IMHO.

…or crispy shallots.

Did you bring that up just because I burned that one batch?

Hmmmm… now why would I do that? Just saying they’d probably be so delicious on these mini-burgers… mmmm, so goood….!

O burnt shallots! Why must ye torment me so, cruel devils!?

Whoa. What was that?

Not sure.  I just really want those on my burger now.

Ultimate Veggie Mini-Burgers

2 1/2 cups canned garbanzos, drained and rinsed (a little less than 2 15-oz cans)
    4 large eggs
    1/2 tsp fine-grain sea salt
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 onion, chopped
    zest of one large lemon
    1 cup alfalfa sprouts, chopped
    1 cup toasted bread crumbs
    1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

Combine the garbanzos, eggs, and salt in a food processor. Puree until the mixture is the consistency of a thick, slightly chunky hummous. Pour into a mixing bowl and stir in the cilantro, onion, zest, and sprouts. Add the breadcrumbs, stir, and let sit for a couple of minutes so the crumbs can absorb some of the moisture. Form into twelve 1 1/2″-thick patties. (Remember, these are mini-burgers, so they’re not very wide). If the batter seems too moist to form into patties, add more bread crumbs a bit at a time to firm it up. Or, if too dry, add a bit of water to moisten the batter.

Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium low, add 4 patties, cover, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, until the bottoms begin to brown. Raise the heat if after 10 minutes there is no browning. Flip the patties and cook the second side for 7 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the skillet and cool on a wire rack while you cook the remaining patties. Cut each patty in half — like a bun! — fill with your favorite treats, and eat!

Makes ~12 mini-burgers

Update: As suggested by one commenter, I’m submitting these little guys to Equal Opportunity Kitchen’s Tried, Tested and True 3: Wedding Edition .

This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 10th, 2009 at 6:53 pm and is filed under Appetizers, Main Dishes, Super Natural Cooking, Vegetarian. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 5 responses to “Ultimate Veggie Mini-Burgers”

On February 11th, 2009,Veggie Wedgie said:

This is very interesting. I was watching top chef the other day and one of them made a veggie burger like this!

On February 11th, 2009,Dana said:

What a great idea! I always take the bun off my veggie burgers anyway – I like the flavor and all that bread just mutes it. I’ll try this!

On February 11th, 2009,Cathleen said:

Yum! But why oh why do they have to be mini? Why not Veggie Mega-Burgers? Down with the tiny food; bring on the giant food!!

On February 12th, 2009,giz said:

Very very cool indeed and the mini makes for great party food – would be an exceptional submission to Psychgrad’s TTT3-wedding edition :)

On February 13th, 2009,Psychgrad said:

Too cool. I love the idea of a bun made out of vegetables. Now I’m tempted to get that cookbook. Thanks very much for participating in TTT3!