23rd March 2009

Broccoli Lentil Soup with Roasted Pepper Coulis

posted in Main Dishes, Vegetarian |

brocclentilsoup

Lisa found this recipe on VeganYumYum, and features a sweet roasted red pepper coulis atop a hearty, savory broccoli and lentil soup. A great quick weeknight meal!

Wow, so that seemed easy…

It was totally easy — and it’s delicious! I love the Roasted Pepper “Dave” Coulis-er!

Yeah the Coulis-o is pretty rockin’ (rappin’?)… though maybe a little less maple syrup next time? Anyway, I like the way all the flavors come together.

I know what this reminds me of!

What?

Split pea soup!

Ewww! I don’t like split pea.

Yes you do, I made it for you once and you said you liked it.

Hmmm, did I say that?

1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp maple syrup
    1/4 tsp chili powder
    freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp salt

Pita chips, to garnish

In a dutch oven, heat a pan over medium-high heat and add vegetable oil to coat the bottom. Add the shallots. Once they start to brown, add the lentils and cumin and stir for a minute or two. Add water, broccoli, and the boullion cube, turn the heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer for about 30 minutes until the lentils are tender but still firm.

Meanwhile, roast the red pepper over a high flame until blackened (alternatively, coat the pepper with some oil and place under a broiler, turning regularly until blackened and blistered, about 10 minutes). Place the pepper in a closed paper bag for 10-15 minutes until cooled. Brush the charred skin off with a paper towel, then remove the stem, seeds, and cut into quarters. Add the roasted bell pepper and the remaining coulis ingredients into a food processor. Blend well until smooth, and set aside to let the flavors intensify.

When the soup is ready, use an immersion blender to blend the soup to a smooth consistency: it will be very thick. Add soy milk to thin the soup as desired.

Place soup in bowls. Add 1/2 of the coulis on top of each bowl of soup and top with pita chips.

This entry was posted on Monday, March 23rd, 2009 at 10:46 pm and is filed under Main Dishes, Vegetarian. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 4 responses to “Broccoli Lentil Soup with Roasted Pepper Coulis”

On March 24th, 2009,Hélène said:

This looks yummy.

On March 25th, 2009,Sara said:

This looks amazing. I’m noticing I happen to have all these ingredients at the moment…hmm… I’ll keep you posted!

On January 18th, 2010,Just Scotty said:

Just made this. I did alter slightly.. First of all, I quadrupled it. I used veg. broth rather than a cube and water, added a tspn of ground ginger, and used 1 TBSN of guava rather than 4 of honey. Fabulous recipe! Much peace

On January 19th, 2010,Just Scotty said:

hahahahaha, agave not guava…