17th November 2009

African Peanut Stew

peanutstewchicken

Here’s another good one from Almost Meatless: okra, chard, onions, and just a bit of chicken in a richly-flavored broth made with peanut butter and chicken stock. The recipe makes quite a bit, and was so good that in addition to Lisa, I brought in leftovers for lunch the following day! (Those of you who know us realize how monumental that is!) The original recipe calls for dark-meat turkey (attention to those of you looking for ideas for Thanksgiving leftovers!), which we substituted for chicken.

Yum, this sauce is so good — and the rice just soaks it all up.

Yeah, I really like this — and even though you’re not the biggest fan, I heart the okra in it.

Hey, I guess I won’t have to have my ritual spoon of peanut butter tonight!

Ha, guess not — and although you definitely taste the peanut flavor in here, it’s not like those Thai peanut sauces that are *super* peanutty.

Nope — definitely not… not that I’d mind. I’m glad this is “almost” meatless, I’m almost ready for another vegetarian week.

…I’ll gladly eat whatever you aren’t in the mood for!

Hey, fork off! I didn’t say I was ready for vegetarian week just yet…!

African Peanut Stew
    2 tbsp oil, divided
    1 boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 3/4 lb), cut into strips
    4 oz okra, sliced thinly
    1 onion, sliced into strips
    4 cups chicken stock
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    2 tsp garam masala
    1 cup canned diced tomatoes (or fresh, if you have ‘em)
    1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
    4 cups thinly-sliced rainbow chard
    1 small red bell pepper, chopped
    1/4 cup roasted salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
    6 green onions, thinly sliced

Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for five minutes, until lightly browned. Transfer meat and juices to a plate.
    Add the 1/4 cup water and deglaze the pot, scraping up the bits from the bottom. Pour the liquid and bits over the chicken and set aside.
    Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pot, add the okra, and saute for five minutes on medium heat, until it starts to look sticky. Add the onion and saute another five minutes. Pour in 1/2 cup of the stock and deglaze the bottom of the pot.
    Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute. Stir in the spices, tomatoes, peanut butter, reserved meat and juices, remaining stock, and chard. Lower heat to medium-low and simmer for 45 minutes.
    Serve over brown rice and garnish with red bell peppers, chopped peanuts, and green onions.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, November 17th, 2009 at 9:13 pm and is filed under Almost Meatless, Main Dishes. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 3 responses to “African Peanut Stew”

On November 23rd, 2009,tigerfish said:

Such a nutritious one-dish meal ;)

On November 23rd, 2009,Coco Bean said:

This really sounds wonderful and different from the normal bland chicken dinner, thanks for posting the recipe!

On December 30th, 2009,Shoshana said:

I’ve been craving African Peanut Stew ever since seeing yours posted and finally made it this week! You guys inspired me to create a healthier version than I’ve made in past. I posted my altered recipe here http://naturalchefshoshana.blogspot.com/2009/12/recipe-african-chicken-stew.html. Main difference was more vegetables, used pre-roasted chicken, and changed up the spice mix. I also used quinoa with mine. Yours looks delicious. Thanks for the great recipes!