9th November 2009

Pumpkin Scones, a la Starbucks

posted in Desserts |

pumpkinscones

WTFOMG. I don’t know what to say about these. I love them. I hate them. I’m eating all of them, except for those that have already been eaten by Lisa.  Or the mysterious “mouse” that seems to be able to open the tupperware they’re in, take a few nibbles of one, and reseal it. These scones are a bit softer than what I usually encounter in a scone — almost like a really dense muffin — with two different icings for your sweet-toothery. The recipe Lisa found for these made 6 scones; we made 12 by cutting the dough smaller. We’ll be making these again, for sure. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

Wow, these taste really close to the real thing.

Ohmygod I know.

Om-nom-nom-nom.

It’s a good thing we’re not on a diet.

We may have to be after these.

But I cut the scones to half the size of the original recipe!

Just means I’m eating twice as many.

…and I used skim milk instead of whole.

See what you just did? Convinced me to have another.

Pumpkin Scones, a la Starbucks

2 tbsp skim milk
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
    1 pinch ground ginger
    1 pinch ground cloves

Prepare the Scones:
    Preheat the oven to 425F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
    Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices in a large bowl. Use a fork to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly and no chunks of butter are obvious. Set aside.
    In a separate bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, half and half, and egg. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients, and form the dough into a ball.
    Pat out dough onto a lightly floured surface and form it into a 1-inch thick rectangle about 3 times as long as wide. Use a large knife or a pizza cutter to slice the dough twice through the width, making three equal portions. Cut each of the portions in an X pattern (four pieces) so you end up with 12 triangular slices of dough. Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 14–16 minutes. Scones should begin to turn light brown. Place on wire rack to cool.

Make the powdered sugar glaze:

Mix the powdered sugar and 2 tbsp milk together until smooth. When scones are cool, use a brush to spread plain glaze over the top of each scone.

Make the spiced icing:
    While the powdered sugar glaze is firming, combine all of the ingredients for the spiced icing. Drizzle over each scone and allow the icing to dry before serving (about an hour). Attempt not to devour all the scones at once.

12 scones

This entry was posted on Monday, November 9th, 2009 at 11:04 pm and is filed under Desserts. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 20 responses to “Pumpkin Scones, a la Starbucks”

On November 10th, 2009,Leanna said:

You convinced me. I have some pumpkin sitting in my fridge waiting to be used. This is perfect.

On November 10th, 2009,megan said:

I just made scones really similar to these! We had the same reaction – amazing! The icing is definitely the best part. We couldn’t stop eating them :)

On November 10th, 2009,Mark said:

Gimme gimme gimme. I need. I need.

On November 10th, 2009,Karly said:

Yes, please. I’d like to dip my finger in that icing. Yum!

On November 12th, 2009,Ken Goldstein said:

Dammit. This is like putting as loaded gun in my hands and some itchy powder on my fingers.

On November 13th, 2009,Cathleen Small said:

Wow, they even look like the Starbucks ones–pretty AND yummy!

On November 14th, 2009,Holly said:

Holy my apartment smells amazing! This is my first ever attempt at scones, and let me just say that this is a very easy recipe. I just pulled them out of the oven, and I’m not sure I can wait for them to cool to drizzle them in that amazing spiced glaze and sink my teeth into them … OH BOY my pumpkin-loving girlfriend is going to fall even more in love with me HA!
      thank you for this recipe!

On November 23rd, 2009,Heather said:

Wow. These are awesome. I had a week long craving for a Starbucks pumpkin scone. I’m glad I resisted and made these instead!

On December 30th, 2009,Stephanie said:

I just made these for my mom’s visit and we both LOVE them!! Delish! Thank you, very much!

On January 7th, 2010,discojing » Blog Archive » Show ‘n Tell Issue 11 said:

[...] Pumpkin Scones, a la Starbucks (We Heart Food) [...]

On February 19th, 2010,Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Glaze : Brown Eyed Baker said:

[...] (Adapted from We [Heart] Food) [...]

On September 4th, 2010,Pumpkin Purée « The Shortlists said:

[...] Pumpkin Starbucks Scones [...]

On September 5th, 2010,Mini Pumpkin Scones « Take a Megabite said:

[...] Mini Pumpkin Scones Recipe adapted from weheartfood [...]

On November 9th, 2010,Dave Stewart said:

Wow! These could be dangerous to my health! Tried your recipe – love then! Love them! Love them! Thnaks!

On November 25th, 2010,Sweet Remedy » Thanksgiving Breakfast; Pumpkin Scones said:

[...] Pumpkin Scones adapted from weheartfood [...]

On October 14th, 2011,Willing Cook-A-Long: Pumpkin Scones « The Rice of Life said:

[...] (Though she actually didn’t create this recipe. By following the links, I’ve determined We Heart Food is the original creator of these scones.) I was really hesitant to jump in, because I’ve had [...]

On October 14th, 2011,Annaliese Lemmon said:

I made these scones, adapted to be gluten-free, dairy-free, and soy-free and blogged about it here. Oh my gosh, so good! Thanks for inspiring Brown-Eyed Baker to make them!

On January 12th, 2012,Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Glaze « Lo and Be Told said:

[...] [Adapted from weheartfood.com] [...]

On January 15th, 2012,Gluten-Free Butternut Squash Scones | The Drunk Squash said:

[...] http://www.weheartfood.com/2009/11/pumpkin-scones-a-la-starbucks.html [...]

On October 23rd, 2012,Maren said:

We Love WTFOMG Scones! Seriously – they are unreal!
      Thank you for sharing!