6th April 2010

Salmon and Baby Bok Choy Ramen

Here’s a dish we made a few weeks ago from The Ultimate Soup Bible. A salmon fillet is cut on the diagonal into thin slices which are seared and then placed into a bowl of steaming hot, richly-flavored broth and udon noodles. Baby bok choy adds color and some crunch.

Oh my god, it’s a miracle.

What?

Okay, two miracles. One, you’re updating the blog. Two, the recipe doesn’t include mushrooms.

Since when are mushrooms a problem?

They’re not… it’s just… I’ve gotten comments. I’ve heard things.

Uh…

Yeah. People are starting to think that’s all we eat.

Well we do like mushrooms.

That’s true… but… I’m just saying. That last post has been up there for a while. I was wondering if we were going to change the blog’s name to WeHeartShrooms.com…

Hey if that’s not registered yet, I’m gonna grab it. So…

…yeah?

You want to talk about this dish at all?

Oh yeah, right! I loved it! Those really thin slices of salmon were awesome. And I just love a big bowl of soup.

Same here — I hadn’t grilled such thin slices like that before. It worked out well. And those thick udon noodles are great for slurping. You know how much I love the slurping.

Yes. Yes I do. And I guess if the biggest complaint about a dish is how loud it is when your dining partner eats it… well that’s really not much to complain about at all.

Salmon and Baby Bok Choy Ramen
    6 cups vegetable stock
    1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    6 green onions, sliced
    3 tbsp soy sauce
    3 tbsp sake
    1 lb salmon fillet, skinned
    1 tsp peanut oil
    12 oz udon noodles
    4-5 baby bok choy, broken into leaves
    1 fresh red chili pepper, seeded and sliced
    1 cup bean sprouts
    salt and pepper

Pour the stock into a pot and add the ginger, garlic, and a third of the green onions. Add the soy sauce and sake, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
    Meanwhile, cut the salmon at a severe angle into 12 slices. Brush a grill pan with the oil and heat until very hot. Sear the salmon slices for 1-2 minutes on each side until tender. Set aside.
    Cook the udon noodles as per the directions, then drain and cool under cold running water. Drain again.
    Strain the broth into a clean pot, season, and bring to a low boil. Add the bok choy.
    Divide the noodles among 4 deep bowls, along with the salmon slices, green onions, chili, and bean sprouts. Ladle in the broth.

4 Servings.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 6th, 2010 at 10:51 pm and is filed under Asian, Main Dishes, Soups and Stews, The Soup Bible. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 2 responses to “Salmon and Baby Bok Choy Ramen”

On April 7th, 2010,Joanne said:

Nothing wrong with shrooms. But I have to say that I prefer salmon. This soup looks so good! And I’m not even a soup person.

On April 9th, 2010,tasteofbeirut said:

This soup does look yummy; I will make it in a heartbeat, even if I dont particularly heart udon noodles; hey that was a very funny post too, love your wife!