10th April 2010

Tahini Brownies

posted in Desserts, Vegetarian |

When I spotted this recipe for Tahini Brownies on Taste of Beirut, I knew it was just a matter of time before we would tackle it ourselves.  Actually, “tackle” is very much an overstatement; this is one of the easiest brownie recipes we’ve ever made.  It literally took more time to figure out the approximate grams-to-cups conversions than to throw everything together and get them baking.  A birthday party was the perfect excuse to make, and give away (lest we eat them all ourselves), these egg-free, butter-free, sesame-sweet treats.

Yay, we’re finally making these!

I know it — the batter is awesome.

You sure it’s a good idea to bring these to a party with kids? There’s rum in here.

Heck yes — I’m sure there will be plenty of kid-friendly treats. Besides, I’m sure most of the alcohol is gonna burn off during baking.

True! Um, I think we should cut these before the party.

Well of course, how else are we gonna taste-test them?

Wanna split one?

Yes please…

Ooooh, they’re good… you can definitely taste the tahini!

Yeah, at the end… not overpowering, but you can definitely place it. Okay, these were a success.

*Totally* — and so easy! Now let’s go before I eat any more of them.

Tahini Brownies
    1 Bar of cooking chocolate, such as 60 or 70% bittersweet, 100 g
    1/2 cup, plus one tablespoon of tahini
    1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1 heaping tsp baking powder
    1 cup powdered sugar
    ~ 2/3 cup combination of rum and orange juice

Preheat the oven to 350F.
    Melt the chocolate in a double-boiler. Meanwhile, mix the tahini, orange juice and rum in a large bowl.
    Add the melted chocolate and the powdered sugar. Mix well.
    Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture, and again mix well.
    Grease an 8 inch baking pan and line with parchment paper. Pour in the batter, spreading it as evenly as possible.
    Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the outside is crispy, and still slightly gooey inside.

This entry was posted on Saturday, April 10th, 2010 at 3:34 pm and is filed under Desserts, Vegetarian. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 14 responses to “Tahini Brownies”

On April 10th, 2010,tasteofbeirut said:

Chris and Lisa

Glad you guys liked them! I am actually itching to make them again, this time I will use rum!

On April 10th, 2010,Katie said:

These sound delicious! I’m going to substitute peanut butter for tahini and see how it works out.

On April 10th, 2010,Kel said:

You mean there is another use for that jar of tahini than hummus?

Thank you so much!

On April 11th, 2010,Heavenly Housewife said:

HOw clever! I love this idea. I certainly have plenty of tahini to use up LOL.

On April 11th, 2010,Rachel Belle Krampfner said:

Ooh! Ooh! I’m gonna make these too. Sesame anything = yum. In the past I have been in the same dilemma as Kel. Finally a way to use of the tahini!

On April 11th, 2010,Kirstin said:

What a great excuse to go get some tahini! Usually I hesitate because I’m not sure what else I would do with it other than make a lot of Middle Eastern food, but these brownies sound awesome!

On April 17th, 2010,ben said:

a *seriously* good brownie. i didn’t have quite enough tahini so i just topped up with peanut butter.
      the rum adds a special something, definitely worth the inclusion.
      making this again for sure!

On April 28th, 2010,Meggie said:

Mine don’t look as good as the ones you made, but they are pretty delicious!

On May 6th, 2010,roxan said:

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I made these brownies last night. Thank you so much!!! They are delicious. :)

On May 9th, 2010,Simonne said:

Wanna ask is the tahini= sesame paste ?
      So u using the paste right?

Thanks!

On May 9th, 2010,Chris said:

Yes! Tahini = sesame paste.

On September 6th, 2010,Lisa said:

These brownies were so good! Thanks for bringing them when you guys were last over!

On November 13th, 2011,something missing said:

Hi, A friend pointed out this recipe and thought they looked great, although I ended up replacing the tahini with almond butter and the rum with amaretto..but they turned out great (there are picture on my blog http://sthingmissing.blogspot.com/2011/11/amaretto-almond-brownies.html). Thanks for the inspiration :o )

On January 16th, 2013,Ginny said:

Tahini (sesame seeds in general) is a great anti-inflammatory. If you’re experiencing back, neck or joint pain, it’s a great excuse to eat more tahini. About a teaspoon a day will help! Great excuse to have these brownies around and even garnish each one with a little dollop of tahini!