20th April 2008

Taste & Create VIII: Mushroom Curry

posted in Main Dishes |

For Taste & Create VIII, Lisa and I were paired with Sathya & Elizabeth from The Baker and The Curry Maker: our second Aussie pairing! After scouring through a bunch of delicious sounding posts, I decided to make this mushroom curry that Sathya made back in October. Lisa and I are huge mushroom fans (wait — does that mean we love huge mushrooms?) so this recipe sounded just right. It went paired well with a mushroom rice pilaf — the more shrooms the better!

I love mushrooms.

That’s pretty obvious — I was just checking out our tag list, and mushrooms clock in at number 2.

Seemed like this was pretty easy to make compared to our previous T&C events.

Yes — very easy and really healthy! The only difficult part, if any at all, was converting from grams to ounces.

I’m glad to see that people around the world share our love for all things mushroom and cilantro…

Mushroom Curry
    ————–
    10 oz button mushrooms, halved
    5 oz oyster mushrooms
    1 onion, chopped
    1 tomato, diced
    3 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 small piece Ginger, grated
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp ground coriander
    Salt
    Oil
    3 tablespoons yogurt
    Fresh cilantro, chopped

Place the ginger, garlic, and onion into a food processor and grind until it makes a smooth paste.
    Add a little oil to a pan over high heat and stir-fry the mushrooms for a few minutes until they decrease in size and start to give off their liquid. Set aside.
    Turn the heat to low, add some more oil to the pan if needed and stir in the onion paste. Add the yogurt one tablespoon at a time, and cook for two minutes.
    Add the tomatoes, ground coriander, chili powder, and salt, and cook for another minute.
    Add the mushrooms, along with 1/2 cup of water and stir well. Adjust the heat and let thicken, stirring occasionally.
    Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves and serve.

This entry was posted on Sunday, April 20th, 2008 at 8:49 pm and is filed under Main Dishes. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 10 responses to “Taste & Create VIII: Mushroom Curry”

On April 21st, 2008,Christie @ fig & cherry said:

Yum! This looks great. I think it would be nice with some shiitake and chestnut mushrooms added too.

On April 21st, 2008,Cathleen said:

I still can’t fathom a world where Lisa loves mushrooms…but dang, this looks good!!

On April 22nd, 2008,edamame said:

All dishes look very delicious. I am interested in the food culture of your country. And I support your site. If there is time, please come in my site. From Japan

On April 22nd, 2008,farida said:

this looks delicious! and no curry powder? hmmm, interesting. but still great!:))

On April 22nd, 2008,steph- whisk/spoon said:

i love their blog! and mushrooms and cilantro, so i may have to give this a go, too!

On April 23rd, 2008,farida said:

Chris & Lisa! I just tagged you for your best 10 shots! Please read my post for details: http://azcookbook.wordpress.com/2008/04/23/top-10-pictures/

Have fun!

On April 25th, 2008,Ami said:

I made this last night and it was delicious! I am looking for a way to kick up the heat a little bit for when I make it next (because I am insanely in love with spicy food). Does anyone have any suggestions for how to do that? Thanks!!

On April 27th, 2008,cyberpenguin said:

Oh my goodness, this looks SO-OOOOO GOOD! I just subscribed & added your fantastic food blog to my blogroll. Yipeeeee! ;-)

On April 30th, 2008,The Baker & The Curry Maker said:

Sorry for the delay in responding, the move is killing me. Very close now though. The curry looks delicious, better than mine I’d say. Farida commented here there’s no curry pwd, I find curry pwd is generally a blend of different spices, like the spices in this recipe. Ami – if you want a kick next time you make this, I add some chillu flakes (about a teaspoon) when I’m frying off the spices and then some finely chopped chilli’s sprinkled over the top when I’m serving it. I made the Borani from your wonderful blog – http://thebakerandthecurrymaker.blogspot.com/2008/04/taste-create-borani-spinach-feta-yogurt.html thank you so much, it was gobbled up quickly. I look forward to trying more. Once again, sorry for the delay.

On June 10th, 2008,For the Love of Food » Taste&Create IX - T&C April Round-Up said:

[…] from We [Heart] Food blogged about The Baker & The Curry Maker’s Mushroom Curry.  Chris says “I’m thrilled to find out that there are mushroom lovers on every […]