29th May 2008

Thai Grilled Chicken with Cilantro Dipping Sauce

Thai Grilled Chicken with Cilantro Dipping Sauce
This recipe came together in about 15-20 minutes, so it definitely lived up to the title of the book from which it came — Food & Wine Magazine’s Quick from Scratch Herbs & Spices Cookbook. We’re just diving into this one, but I’m really liking it so far — I love when each recipe is accompanied by a full-page picture. The book is divided into two sections: “Herbs” and “Spices”. Each recipe features a particular herb/spice — cilantro is one of our favorites, so we started there.

So, considering that I decided to make this about 10 minutes before you got home, I’d say this turned out quite well.

Yeah, I thought we were doing Tortilla soup!

I changed my mind… not in a soup mood. Besides, this way we can tell Jeanette how much we enjoy the cookbook when we see her this weekend.

It’s true! Yum, I like this dipping sauce.

I like most dipping sauces. Especially when they have cilantro!

Cilantro *does* rule the planet. We need to start growing it.

Yes, please.

Thai Grilled Chicken with Cilantro Dipping Sauce
2 jalapeño peppers, seeds and stems removed
4 cloves garlic: 2 smashed, 2 minced
1/2 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves and stems
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp salt
4 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (about 1 1/3 lbs.)
6 tbsp rice-wine vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp dried red-pepper flakes
1 1/2 tbsp water

Light the grill and set at medium-high heat. In a blender, puree the jalapeños, smashed garlic cloves, the 1/2 cup cilantro leaves and stems, the fish sauce, canola oil, sesame oil, and 1/4 tsp salt. Put the chicken in a shallow dish and coat with the cilantro puree.
Grill the chicken for 5 minutes. Turn and cook until just done, about 5 minutes longer.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the vinegar, sugar, and the remaining 1/4 tsp salt to a simmer, stirring. Simmer for 2 minutes. Pour the liquid into a small glass or stainless-steel bowl and let cool. Add the minced garlic, the tablespoon of chopped cilantro, the red-pepper flakes, and water. Serve each chicken breast with a small bowl of dipping sauce alongside.

This entry was posted on Thursday, May 29th, 2008 at 9:36 pm and is filed under Main Dishes, Quick from Scratch Herbs and Spices, Thai. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 8 responses to “Thai Grilled Chicken with Cilantro Dipping Sauce”

On May 30th, 2008, Andrea said:

Isn’t this a great dish? I love that cookbook series, everything is quick, easy, and pretty tasty!

On May 30th, 2008, ShopLittleGifts said:

Wow, that looks so delicious! Btw, I’m starting my cilantro plant in the garden as well. It’s finally getting hotter out here in the Bay Area – so perfect time for some fresh asian herbs. Love the grill marks!

On May 30th, 2008, Hillary said:

Unlike my entire family, I actually love cilantro so this sounds and looks good to me!

On June 1st, 2008, Psychgrad said:

I have that cookbook too and really like it. I recently made this out of it and have another 10 or so recipes flagged in the book to try.

On June 6th, 2008, cakewardrobe said:

I’ve been super into making Thai recipes lately, or inspired. I found your post on Tastespotting under a search and made this recipe last night. It’s too good not to comment!

On June 6th, 2008, Chris said:

I loved that dipping sauce — if you’re looking for more Thai recipes, check out http://www.realthairecipes.com/

On September 14th, 2008, wonderment » Blog Archive » Recipes for non-Vegetarians said:

[…] Thai Grilled Chicken with Cilantro Dipping Sauce […]

On October 29th, 2008, Sam said:

I made it with red-wine vinegar instead. it gives it a little more flavor and adds some beautiful contrasting color.