24th March 2008

White Chili

posted in Main Dishes |

I bookmarked this white chili recipe featured on Blue Kitchen (GREAT photos) back in November and finally got to making it this weekend. It’s definitely not the usual “ground beef and kidney beans” fare… this spices in this chili include bay leaf, oregano, and… ginger! Unusual, but subtle. We loved it.

Usually I seed the jalapeños when I make chili, but since there wasn’t anything else really “hot” in the recipe, like chili powder, I left most of the seeds in.

Really? I was all prepared to say “Spicy!” after my first bite, but it’s not that hot. It has a really good flavor, though.

Doesn’t it? I was wondering how it was going to taste with that ginger, but it’s very subtle. It doesn’t overpower the taste at all.

The toppings make it a really colorful dish. Yay cilantro!

I think we’re going to have to change the name of this blog to We [Heart] Cilantro and Onions — I think we use them in 75% of the meals we make.

Speaking of cilantro, what’s with these people?

Hey, that just means there’s more for us…

White Chili
    1 bay leaf
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    2 teaspoons cumin
    1/2 teaspoon each, salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 small tomato, chopped
    2 green onions, thinly sliced

Heat a large sauce pan over a medium heat. Add olive oil. Add onions and jalapeño pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, another minute or so. Add chicken and mushrooms. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to cook chicken on all sides.

Sprinkle in flour and stir to coat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add broth, beans, 1/4 cup cilantro, bay leaf, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes.

Discard bay leaf and adjust seasonings. Spoon chili into bowls and garnish with tomato, cilantro and green onion.

This entry was posted on Monday, March 24th, 2008 at 10:12 pm and is filed under Main Dishes. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 6 responses to “White Chili”

On March 25th, 2008,Hallie Fae said:

I’m making this tonight! I can’t wait to see how it turns out.

On March 25th, 2008,Terry B said:

Thanks so much for trying my white chili recipe–I’m glad you liked it! Chris, you’re exactly right about using the jalapeño, seeds and all. There’s not much else producing heat, so the end result isn’t too fiery.

On March 25th, 2008,michelle @ the smackdown said:

this sounds like a yummy variant on white chili. i’m definitely going to add some ginger next time.

who doesn’t like cilantro? fools. fools and liars.

On March 25th, 2008,Hallie Fae said:

Sooo good! Loved this recipe, turned out great and was simple.

On March 31st, 2008,** said:

fight the power! down with cilantro! and neither liar nor fool am i . . . ;-)

On March 31st, 2008,tigerfish said:

I love the fact that it says white chili but looks really mild.