7th April 2008

Fisherman’s Rice

A few nights ago I made this surprisingly easy and quick rice dish — somewhere between a paella and fried rice — found in The Border Cookbook. We used chicken chorizo instead of pork/beef to lower the fat content, and considering there’s only a teaspoon of oil added, it was pretty healthy.

Yay for sausage!

That chicken chorizo is pretty spicy…

Yeah, it’s good. The dish itself is pretty subtle, so I think it works well to have the distinct spices from the sausage and the contrasting cool avocado.

I really like this dish — you’re right, it’s reminiscent of both fried rice and paella.

This would be good topped with some of that tomatillo-chipotle salsa that we made with the Arroz Con Pollo.

Fisherman’s Rice
    —————-
    4 oz bulk chorizo (I used chicken chorizo)
    1 tsp vegetable oil
    1/2 medium onion, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 cup uncooked rice
    2 cups chicken stock
    1 tsp soy sauce
    1/2 tsp white vinegar
    1 bay leaf
    12 oz shrimp, cooked as desired
    1/2 Haas avocado, diced
    2 medium tomatillos, husked, roasted, and pureed

In a heavy skillet, fry the chorizo in oil over medium heat. When just browned, add the onion, garlic, and rice and saute briefly until the rice is translucent. Pour in the stock, soy sauce, vinegar, add the bay leaf, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 to 18 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed.
    Stir in the cooked shrimp, avocado, and pureed tomatillos, cover again, and continue cooking for 2 more minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let the rice steam, covered, for at least 10 minutes. Stir and serve.

3-4 Servings

This entry was posted on Monday, April 7th, 2008 at 8:56 pm and is filed under Main Dishes, The Border Cookbook. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 7 responses to “Fisherman’s Rice”

On April 10th, 2008,Anonymous said:

Wait a second… where do the pureed tomatillos come in? Am I missing something?

I found this through Tastespotting and it looks fantastic – something to make for myself when my (non-shrimp-eating, non-avocado-fan) fiance isn’t around. I made your arroz con pollo too and it ruled.

- Camille

On April 10th, 2008,Chris said:

Camille — nope, *I* was missing something! You add them at the end, with the shrimp and avocados. I updated the recipe. Glad you liked the Arroz Con Pollo!

On April 11th, 2008,Maryann said:

I heart this. Very much so :)

On April 11th, 2008,Roni said:

That look delish! I think my husband would even like it. LOL

On May 8th, 2009,Carrie said:

I’m definitely going to make this next week. I’ve got all the ingredients on hand and this recipe looks fabulous! I can already tell that I’ll love it.

On May 14th, 2009,Fisherman’s Rice « Our Life in Food said: