14th December 2008

Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta and Pine Nuts

brussels

This recipe comes from the Washington Local and Seasonal Cookbook, a great find that features, oddly enough, recipes that are appropriate for the current season, and ingredients that are readily available in Washington state. As a former Brussels sprouts hater, I can pretty much guarantee that if I hadn’t already been won over by the two other recipes featured on this site, this one would have done the job. Because, really, doesn’t crispy pancetta make everything taste better?

Remember I used to hate Brussels sprouts?

Yep — and now a third brussels sprouts recipe from a brussels sprouts hater…

Well, I still hate saying “Brussels Sprouts”. The “s” in Brussels followed by the “s” in sprouts bothers me.

Well, no one says it that way, so who cares?

Good point.

This pancetta is really tasty.

And crispy! I can totally see why someone would want to be a bacontarian — I could totally only eat vegetables, as long as they were suplemented with the occasional bit of pork fat. ;)

Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta and Pine Nuts
    1 lb Brussels sprouts
    3 oz pancetta, diced
    olive oil
    sea salt
    pepper
    1/4 pine nuts, toasted in dry skillet until golden brown

Preheat oven to 400F. Slice Brussels sprouts in half lengthwise, and remove any wilted outer leaves. Toss in a bowl and mix with a splash of olive oil, pancetta, salt, and pepper. Spread in an even layer on a baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes until the pancetta is crispy, stirring the brussels sprouts occasionally so they cook evenly. Toss with pinenuts and another splash of olive oil, if desired.

This entry was posted on Sunday, December 14th, 2008 at 11:59 pm and is filed under Sides, Washington Local and Seasonal. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 5 responses to “Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta and Pine Nuts”

On December 15th, 2008,Quinoa & Gruyère with Sauteed Mushrooms and Broccolini » We [Heart] Food said:

[...] says: Oops, some of the Brussels sprouts and pancetta ended up in my [...]

On December 15th, 2008,Cathleen said:

Bacon makes everything better! And pancetta…mmmmm! The best of bacon!

On December 15th, 2008,PaniniKathy said:

I was just having a conversation the other day with some friends about how we’ve developed a newfound appreciation for brussels sprouts. This version sounds great to me!

On December 17th, 2008,Favorite blogs of the day | Echronicles said:

[...] with salt and pepper, and sauteed in olive oil. We Heart Food has a lovely looking recipe for brussels sprouts with pancetta and pine nuts. It’s first on my list for dinner with Gina’s [...]

On December 26th, 2008,Mark said:

We’ll be making this for our Christmas dinner with my Dad this Saturday! Thanks! Merry Holidays and Happy Christmas.