21st May 2011

Thanksgiving in May: Challah, Herb and Mushroom Stuffing

posted in Sides, Vegetarian |

Welcome back to Thanksgiving in May! This is the most buttery, herby, shroomy, deeeelish stuffing we’ve enjoyed in a long time. I went searching for a new stuffing recipe and when I stumbled upon this one at food52 I knew I found our winner. The most difficult part of this recipe was tracking down a loaf of challah in the days leading up to the holiday.

Oh my god, I forgot about this one.

Not me — I loved how buttery it was, and the texture was awesome — almost like a bread pudding.

Yeah! Crisped on top and soft inside, SO GOOD.

Holla back, challah bread!

Unnecessary.

Oh I don’t think so.

Challah, Herb and Mushroom Stuffing
    1 large loaf of challah
    2 cups celery, diced
    2 cups onion, diced
    2 cups cremini mushroom, diced
    8-10 sprigs thyme, chopped
    1/4 c chopped flat leaf parsley
    3 cups vegetable stock
    4 oz melted butter, plus more for buttering the baking dish and parchment
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground

Cut the challah into 1″ cubes. Leave the cubes out on a parchment lined sheet pan, on the counter, to get stale, at least overnight and preferably 3 days.

Melt 3 oz of butter in a large heavy pan. Saute the onions until wilted, add the herbs, celery and mushrooms and cook until just slightly cooked thorough.

In a large bowl, combine bread cubes, vegetables, melted butter and vegetable stock, and salt and pepper. Test for seasoning and adjust.

Press stuffing into a large buttered baking dish. Cover with buttered parchment and then foil. At this point, the stuffing can be held for several hours, but should be at room temperature before baking.

Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes, the last 10-15 minutes without the foil and parchment, to crisp the surface.

Devour and collapse into a butter-coma.

This entry was posted on Saturday, May 21st, 2011 at 6:21 pm and is filed under Sides, Vegetarian. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 3 responses to “Thanksgiving in May: Challah, Herb and Mushroom Stuffing”

On May 22nd, 2011,Peggy said:

You guys are too cute! Love this stuffing recipe – sounds like a winner to me too! =)

On May 23rd, 2011,burkie said:

looks like a great match for tofurkey :)

On August 9th, 2011,Ryan said:

Oh, I kinda do think so. Hollaback butter-coma!