10th May 2009

Healthy ‘Cause It’s Vegetables: Carrot Cake Ice Cream

posted in Desserts |

carrotcakeicecream

Actually, that’s a lie.  A wonderful, wonderful lie.  Well, partly.  It *is* vegetables:  carrots and currants are vegetables, right?  Healthy?  Not a chance.  At a whopping 485 calories and 30g of fat per 1/2 cup serving, this insanely awesome frozen treat isn’t likely to fit into any sensible eating plan.  But who cares — Lisa made it for my birthday, dammit!  Closer to frozen cream cheese frosting than ice cream, this ridiculously rich confection tastes *just like* the real thing.  We have David Lebovitz, author of The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments for this creation.

Best. Dessert. Ever. Those toppings are fantastic.

Holy crap that’s good.

Carrie says:

Can I try a bite? … wow … that *does* taste just like carrot cake!

That ice cream maker was officially worth it.

I don’t think that was ever under debate.

Abbie says:

This is RICH — and I can see why you’d love this, Mr. I-Heart-Carrot-Cake!

Don’t forget there’s also Maker’s Mark in it!

Thad says:

Wow — cream cheese frosting, anyone?

Jeremy says:

ZOMG this is awesome.

Autumn says:

This is incredible… can we keep the rest?

Chris & Lisa say:

PLEASE!

We’ve been eating this for four days…one more bite and I’ll look like I’m entering my third trimester.

Carrot Cake Ice Cream
    Spiced pecans
    1 cup pecan halves
    1 tbsp butter, melted
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    2 tbsp dark brown sugar
    1/8 tsp salt

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Toss the pecans with the butter. In a small bowl, whisk together the cinnamon, cloves, brown sugar and salt. Pour the mixture over the pecans and toss to coat completely. Spread the pecans on a baking sheet and cook for 12 minutes, gently stirring halfway during baking to candy the nuts. Remove the tray to a rack and cool the nuts completely. Once cool, coarsely chop the pecans. Set aside.

Maker’s-Soaked Currants
    1/4 cup dried currants
    2 tbsp Maker’s Mark Bourbon

In a small saucepan, heat the currants and bourbon until boiling. Simmer until the currants have absorbed almost all of the liquid. Remove from heat and cover the pan. Set aside to cool completely.

Candied carrots
    2 cups finely diced carrots
    2/3 cup sugar
    2 tbsp light corn syrup
    2 cups water

In a medium saucepan, combine the carrots, sugar, corn syrup and water. Bring to a low boil and cook until the syrup is reduced to about 2 tablespoons and the carrots are translucent and candied, 20 to 30 minutes. Keep an eye on the carrots during the last few minutes so they do not burn. Drain the carrots and set aside to cool.

Ice cream base and assembly
    1 8-oz package cream cheese
    1 1/2 cups low-fat sour cream (see? healthy!)
    2/3 cup sugar
    1 tsp chopped lemon zest

Spiced pecans
    Bourbon-Soaked Currants
    Candied carrots

In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, blend together the cream cheese, sour cream, sugar and lemon zest until smooth. Chill thoroughly.
    Freeze the base in an ice cream maker. After churning, gently fold in the spiced pecans, soaked currants and candied carrot cubes. Freeze until firm.

Makes 1 Quart

This entry was posted on Sunday, May 10th, 2009 at 3:07 pm and is filed under Desserts. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

There are currently 18 responses to “Healthy ‘Cause It’s Vegetables: Carrot Cake Ice Cream”

On May 17th, 2009,pigpigscorner said:

Wow…good stuff!

On May 17th, 2009,brilynn said:

I’ve had this bookmarked for a while now, it looks amazing!

On May 17th, 2009,chocolateshavings said:

The color of that ice cream is amazing!

On May 17th, 2009,Cookin' Canuck said:

What an inventive, fun ice cream. I love ice cream and I love carrot cake. So, this is going on my list of recipes to try.

On May 17th, 2009,julia said:

ohhh my goodness does that look incredible.

On May 17th, 2009,Joy the Baker said:

it has carrots in it! of course it’s totally healthy! this is some seriously lovely ice cream!

On May 17th, 2009,heidi leon said:

wonderful recipe. unfortunately I’m not lucky enough to have an ice cream maker machine or have the willing to do it, I’m way too lazy. But I wish I could try yours, it looks just awesome.

On May 17th, 2009,Tonya @ What's On My Plate said:

WOW! I’m intrigued by this one!

On May 17th, 2009,Hélène said:

What a different recipe. I’ve never heard of carrots in ice cream. Great colors.

On May 21st, 2009,Chef Shoshana said:

I was going to suggest this flavor for the new organic ice cream shop I blogged on this week! http://naturalchefshoshana.blogspot.com/2009/05/create-ice-cream-flavor.html
      Sounds incredible. If you have any other cool flavors you’d recommend love to hear them :-)

On May 26th, 2009,Kevin said:

Great idea for an ice cream!

On May 29th, 2009,cure_kitty said:

Looks so good, I need to buy an ice cream maker and try that recipe soon!

On May 29th, 2009,clubdisplace said:

Looks so good, I need to buy an ice cream maker and try that recipe soon!

On June 9th, 2009,Julia @ Imagelicious said:

Wow, that is a very unusual combination, but it sounds delicious. I love carrot cake and carrot cake ice cream sounds pretty good. I might give it a try during the summer.

On June 9th, 2009,Catch-Up Post #1: CSA Soup & Asparagus Stir-Fry » We [Heart] Food said:

[...] sure if it was a major ice-cream headache, weekend trips, or other commitments, but somehow I’ve ended up with a backlog of a dozen or [...]

On July 15th, 2011,Judy@Savoring Today said:

I’ve seen ice cream combinations all over the place the last month (being summer and all), but this has to be the best…maybe that’s due to my affinity for carrot cake! :)

On July 15th, 2011,Carrot Cake Ice Cream [via We (Heart) Food]: Feature Fridays | Savoring Today said:

[...] so everywhere you look there is a new recipe for homemade ice cream.  Honestly, this one from We [Heart] Food had me ready to add “buy an ice cream maker” to my errands today.  I ♥ ice cream [...]

On November 16th, 2011,ice cream flavors. | a little wit. said:

[...] oil and sea salt ice cream. 2. strawberry sour cream ice cream. 3. avocado cardamom ice cream. 4. carrot cake ice cream. 5. sweet potato ice [...]